none
Win 8.1 Pro - Windows update stuck at checking for updates

Question

• Hello,

I have a Acer E15 E5-575G. I have installed Win 8.1 Pro UEFI with GPT partitions... installed all drivers and when trying to check for update, the progress continues to run forever and CPU spikes to 30%.

If I stop Windows update service, the CPU usage will get back to normal, and the checking for updates will fail.

Please help if you could solve this issue.

Edit:---

Updated BIOS to latest version. Tried to install KB's suggested out there for this issue but setup too takes forever to check for updates installed in PC!

Thursday, January 12, 2017 3:36 PM

Answers

• Hi,

KB3172614 was not applicable to my PC for some reason.

What I did was disable wuauserv and rename SoftwareDistribution to SoftwareDistribution.old and re-enable wuauserv

not Windows update checked for like 10minutes and found some updates and is currently installing...

I'll update you if there are more issues.

Thanks!

Friday, January 13, 2017 5:44 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please try:
    1. download KB3172614 and KB3214628 and install them.

the above links will lead to a page in Microsoft Upload Catalog,
      and you will see a several titles.
      please pick out one that suits for your Windows 8.1 (x86 or x64)
    2. if the above 1. does not work, inform the date:

Regards,
    Ashidacchi
    Thursday, January 12, 2017 11:19 PM
  • Hi,

the above files keeps showing "Searching for updates on this computer" and CPU usage of "ServiceHost Local system" spikes up to 30%

In windows update both dates are "Never"

Friday, January 13, 2017 4:52 AM
  • Hi,

Have you downloaded and installed two KB-files which I'd shown?

Regards,
    Ashidacchi
    Friday, January 13, 2017 5:00 AM
  • Hi,

Yes I downloaded these 2 files, but couldn't install as the installer freezes on "Searching for updates on this computer" forever.

(I cannot post the screenshot here to show you as my account needs to be verified first)

Friday, January 13, 2017 5:04 AM
  • Hi,

Reboot windows, and retry to install these 2 files.
    Friday, January 13, 2017 5:10 AM
  • Hi,

KB3172614 was not applicable to my PC for some reason.

What I did was disable wuauserv and rename SoftwareDistribution to SoftwareDistribution.old and re-enable wuauserv

not Windows update checked for like 10minutes and found some updates and is currently installing...

I'll update you if there are more issues.

Thanks!

Friday, January 13, 2017 5:44 AM
  • Glad to hear this issue has been solved by yourself. Thanks for sharing, I will introduce this experience to other forum users who face the same condition:)

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 13, 2017 8:43 AM
  • Hi bro,

this is first update on Win 8.1 so it's never & I'm still having the same problem!!
    please help!

Monday, May 22, 2017 1:21 PM
  • Hi,

Please try:
    1. download KB3172614 and KB3214628 and install them.

If the package installation also freezes on checking for updates, you need to temporarily change Automatic Update settings to "never check for updates (not recommended)" (no need to terminate the installation before doing that) and restart the wuauserv service. That will unfreeze the installation.

• Edited by native_api Tuesday, October 17, 2017 2:11 AM
    Sunday, October 15, 2017 1:45 PM