missing items in conversation history RRS feed

• Question

• Strange problem.  Lync 2010, Exchange 2010.  We have a couple of users who are no longer receiving items in their conversation history folder.  I've checked many things and it looks like it is something to do with their mailbox.  It is not a client issue because they use multiple computers and it does not work for any of them, including on computers that it works for other users.  Here is the really strange part ... if we delete the conversation history folder it gets re-created and a bunch of the missing conversation messages will appear (but not all).  Delete it again and some more appear.

One thing in common between the two users experiencing the problem is that they have a fairly large mailboxes with a lot of folders.

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 5:17 PM

Answers

• So we have been able to reproduce this problem on a test account.  It seems to be related to the number of folders in the mailbox.  As soon as the mailbox has more than about 1010 folders (hmmm ... very close to 1024) it stops working.  Reduce the number of folders and it starts working again.

Update: the problem does not depend on the number of mail items in the folders.  Even if we strip all mail items the problem still exists as soon as there are more than about 1010 folders.

I also believe I have an explanation for the behaviour we're seeing as a result of this bug.  I believe the logic of the Lync client is that when it has a conversation that needs to be pushed into a mailbox it first looks to see if the conversation history folder exists.  If not it must be created.  To check if it exists, Lync is likely loading the list of folders into an array and searching it.  My guess is the array is not large enough and therefore is not found in the array.  Lync then assumes that the folder does not exists so it tries to create it - which fails because the folder does exist.  When we manually delete the conversation history folder the create operation suddenly works and it will successfully write a batch of messages to it.  However, the next batch will fail because now the folder exists again. 

• Proposed as answer by Sharon.Shen Thursday, January 19, 2012 1:36 AM
    • Edited by GThorpe Thursday, January 19, 2012 7:17 PM
    • Marked as answer by Sharon.Shen Thursday, February 2, 2012 1:16 AM
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 10:06 PM

All replies

• Hi ,

Would it possible you to move one of the mailbox to another exchange database and check the status ?

Thanks

Saleesh

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 5:44 PM
  • Sure, was thinking of trying that as well.  Will report back the results.

Thanks.

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 5:48 PM
  • Mailbox moved to a different mailstore on a different server.  Didn't help.
    Tuesday, January 10, 2012 9:53 PM
  • Hi,GThorpe,

I supposed you have tried to test in different verison of outlook for these two users,can he search the missing IM history in outlook?

Have you tried to log in his account via OWA and see if all the IM history existed?

Did you deploy Lync Archiving server?If you did can you search the IM history on it?

Would you please verify the conversation history folder or mailbox size to see if it changes after you deleting the conversation history folder?If you have huge items in the conversation history I suggest you create sub folders and catalog them under conversation history,since the best practise way is leaving your item number in one folder up to 3000. 

Regards,

Sharon

Sharon Shen

TechNet Community Support

******************************************************************************************************************************************************* Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community memb
    Thursday, January 12, 2012 6:45 AM
  • Hi Sharon,

We're pretty much using just Outlook 2010 here, but I don't think it is a mail client issue.  The items do not appear in OWA.  I even tried looking at the mailbox with EWSEditor and they do not appear.

We have not deployed an archiving server.

The users have fairly big maiboxes (around 1 GB, but that is not unusual for us).  What is unusual is the number of folders they have created.  These users are real "filers".  One of them estimates that he has 2000 folders.  the other has less (I believe) but it looks pretty substantial also (and far more than what I consider normal).  I do not think any of their folders exceed 3000 items (and certainly not the conversation history).

What I may try doing is to see if one of them is willing to move a bunch of their subfolders to an online archive mailbox.  This could at least prove that the problem is related to the folder structure.  What do you think?

• Edited by GThorpe Thursday, January 12, 2012 3:52 PM
    Thursday, January 12, 2012 3:51 PM
  • Hi ,

Did you get a chance to use MFCMAPI on above mailboxes , are you seeing any corrupted items in the mailbox root or subtree ??

BR,

Thursday, January 12, 2012 3:54 PM
  • No corrupted items when the mailbox was moved.  EWSEditor (similar to MFCMAPI - http://ewseditor.codeplex.com/) doesn't have any problem with the mailbox and the missing items are not showing with it.

Friday, January 13, 2012 12:39 AM
  • What I may try doing is to see if one of them is willing to move a bunch of their subfolders to an online archive mailbox.  This could at least prove that the problem is related to the folder structure.  What do you think?

Hi,GThorpe,

So you mean these missing items also can not be seen in OWA?

The IM history will be writed and stored into Exchange server under Conversation History folder via EWS,you stated it can be displayed after deleting and re-generating the Conversation History,it indicates the history should be stored in Exchange server already but can not be displayed in client for some reasons.Would you please run MFCmapi on your client with online mode to double check and verify if you can see the missing items?

Besides,Exchange Server and Outlook are also involved in this issue,I suggest you also post the question to Exchange Server forum and there are lots of Exchange experts maybe will help you figure out the issue.

If still no luck,please try to do what you said above.I will escalate this case and have the Escalate Support Team have a look at it.

Regards,

Sharon

Sharon Shen

TechNet Community Support

******************************************************************************************************************************************************* Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community memb
    Friday, January 13, 2012 6:47 AM
  • Hi GThorpe,

I dont think that mailboxe size is causing any problems as 1 GB is common size with Exchange 2010. What surprise me here is that you tried deleting conversation history folder and it came back with old conversation which ideally should not happen. Deletion of this folder should also delete old conversations. This reflects there might be something wrong with this folder.

Please try hard deleting the conversation history folder using MFCMapi and check the result. If that does not work, we may need to further dig into this case. Below points be helpful in deciding the next action plan

1.) Users affected by this issue are having their mailboxes shared ?

2.) What is the version of Lync client used by the affected users ?

3.)  Enable logging in client and upload .etl files from Tracing folder. I am not sure if their is any way to upload files in forum.  

Regards

Sid

Monday, January 16, 2012 3:32 AM
  • So we have been able to reproduce this problem on a test account.  It seems to be related to the number of folders in the mailbox.  As soon as the mailbox has more than about 1010 folders (hmmm ... very close to 1024) it stops working.  Reduce the number of folders and it starts working again.

Update: the problem does not depend on the number of mail items in the folders.  Even if we strip all mail items the problem still exists as soon as there are more than about 1010 folders.

I also believe I have an explanation for the behaviour we're seeing as a result of this bug.  I believe the logic of the Lync client is that when it has a conversation that needs to be pushed into a mailbox it first looks to see if the conversation history folder exists.  If not it must be created.  To check if it exists, Lync is likely loading the list of folders into an array and searching it.  My guess is the array is not large enough and therefore is not found in the array.  Lync then assumes that the folder does not exists so it tries to create it - which fails because the folder does exist.  When we manually delete the conversation history folder the create operation suddenly works and it will successfully write a batch of messages to it.  However, the next batch will fail because now the folder exists again. 

• Proposed as answer by Sharon.Shen Thursday, January 19, 2012 1:36 AM
    • Edited by GThorpe Thursday, January 19, 2012 7:17 PM
    • Marked as answer by Sharon.Shen Thursday, February 2, 2012 1:16 AM
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 10:06 PM
  • I think you are right. Lync client uses EWS for multiple GetFolder requests. There might be a cap on number of folders so it wont create unnecessary EWS traffic.

Wednesday, February 1, 2012 11:17 AM