project server 2010: display different views in pwa RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have created a new view in project professional that displays a customized budget based on our company's requirements. Now this view works fine but I need to publish it on project server or make it appear on project server in any way or even generate it from within project server. Is this possible? How?
    My view is a resource usage view that displays the following:

Phase number1:
       Resource Department1:
          Resource Grade1
       Resource Department2:
          Resource Grade1
          Resource Grade2
    Phase number2:
       Resource Department1:
          Resource Grade1
       Resource Department2:
          Resource Grade1
          Resource Grade2

Thanks,
    George
    Tuesday, February 15, 2011 10:53 AM

Answers

• Hi George,

#1. this view cannot be published to the Project Server, you have to create a view in Project Server if you want your users to access through PWA.

Having said that, this view looks to me as Resource Details view. You need to capture the information using the Resource type custom fields, in PS2010 there is OOB resource dept field available which you can utilize + create resource custom field to collect the resource grade information.

once done with the above, go the server settings -> manage views -> resource center -> New view -> insert the fields as you required -> and use the group by Phase Number and then Group by Resource dept.

Hope this answers your query,let me know if you need any more help.

| Khurram Jamshed | Follow my blog about Enterprise Project Management Solution | http://khurramjamshed.blogspot.com |
    • Marked as answer by geo_d Tuesday, February 15, 2011 5:09 PM
    Tuesday, February 15, 2011 11:09 AM
  • Hi George,

since I know quite good what you are looking for ;-):

• Go to Server Settings - Manage Views. Copy "Assignments Work" and rename it.
    • Open this view, delete all fields you do not need (Start and Finish can't be deleted).
    • Add Phase fromTask, Resource Department and Resource Grade to your view.
    • Add in grouping section PhasefromTask, Resource Department and Resource Grade

Save it. If a user opens schedule for a project in Project Web App, he can select this view from drop down box. He has to select outlinelevel 3 manually.

Another possibilty is to create a report in Business Intelligence Center as I suggested last week.

Let me know if you have any trouble!
    Barbara

Tuesday, February 15, 2011 11:26 AM

All replies

• Hi George,

#1. this view cannot be published to the Project Server, you have to create a view in Project Server if you want your users to access through PWA.

Having said that, this view looks to me as Resource Details view. You need to capture the information using the Resource type custom fields, in PS2010 there is OOB resource dept field available which you can utilize + create resource custom field to collect the resource grade information.

once done with the above, go the server settings -> manage views -> resource center -> New view -> insert the fields as you required -> and use the group by Phase Number and then Group by Resource dept.

Hope this answers your query,let me know if you need any more help.

| Khurram Jamshed | Follow my blog about Enterprise Project Management Solution | http://khurramjamshed.blogspot.com |
    • Marked as answer by geo_d Tuesday, February 15, 2011 5:09 PM
    Tuesday, February 15, 2011 11:09 AM
  • Hi George,

since I know quite good what you are looking for ;-):

• Go to Server Settings - Manage Views. Copy "Assignments Work" and rename it.
    • Open this view, delete all fields you do not need (Start and Finish can't be deleted).
    • Add Phase fromTask, Resource Department and Resource Grade to your view.
    • Add in grouping section PhasefromTask, Resource Department and Resource Grade

Save it. If a user opens schedule for a project in Project Web App, he can select this view from drop down box. He has to select outlinelevel 3 manually.

Another possibilty is to create a report in Business Intelligence Center as I suggested last week.

Let me know if you have any trouble!
    Barbara

Tuesday, February 15, 2011 11:26 AM
  • Hi George,

one addition since it was not needed in Project Professional: Resource Department and Resource Grade have to be set to "roll-down unless manually specified" to get the expected result (and you will need to re-open Project and re-publish your project, if it wasn't set so far).

If Phase Number is also set to "roll-down unless manually specified", you can also use this field instead of PhaseFromTask.

Regards
    Barbara

Tuesday, February 15, 2011 11:40 AM