vista black screen, 3ith cursor RRS feed

• Question

• i had a visual theme installed on my computer it is called vistaosx, which basicly makes your computer look as if running leopard.

when trying to install this visual style. it told me to open up cmd and type in sfc/scannow, on doing so i would get an error that said, device is unresponsive, looking on how to uninstall further i found this page. http://fc01.deviantart.com/fs36/f/2008/284...y_patrickgs.png

which was posted by the creator of the theme. so after changing my:
    authui.dll
    browseui.dll
    imageres.dll
    shsvs.dll
    themui.dll
    uxtheme.dll
    all to .bak files i was not able to find the final09 folder, after trying to change the .bak files back to .dll with no luck
    (it would just make a error sound and the ile would still be a .bak), I stupidly restarted my computer..

when my computer turned back on it had no welcome loading sound when booting up, and the screen was black. but i was able to see my cursor.

i tried CTRL + ALT + DEL nothing happened, pressing shift 5 times still pulls up the sticky keys option.

tried loading computer in safe mode, still only shows up with a black screen and cursor.
    last known configurations still comes up only black screen
    and the recover option, also only a black screen.

what can i do to get it back up in running, if at all possible without scrapping it and installing.

Friday, April 3, 2009 7:03 PM

Answers

• Hi crschutt, thanks for the post. In my point of view, installing some kind of third party theme can be harmful to the system especially replacing system files. In certain situation, we may need to reinstall the system due to corrupted or replaced system files. Before that, I suggest you try in-Place upgrade first:

1. Start the computer by using the current Operating System.

2. Insert the Windows Vista DVD in the computer's DVD drive.

3. Use one of the following procedures, as appropriate:

If Windows automatically detects the DVD, the Install now screen appears. Click Install now.

If Windows does not automatically detect the DVD, follow these steps:

a.  Click Start, click Run, type Drive:\setup.exe, and then click OK.

Note: Drive is the drive letter of the computer's DVD drive.

b.  Click Install now.

4. When you reach the Which type of installation to you want? screen, click Upgrade to upgrade the current operating system to Windows Vista. 

Hope this helps!

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Tuesday, April 7, 2009 7:42 AM