msconfig and cmd not working new Win 7 install on a SSD RRS feed

• Question

• I just bought a new SSD to install Win 7. I made a clean install of Windows 7 (Enterprise) on a SSD. I've changed the default Programs Files directory and all of my Documents (Pictures, Music, Videos, Documents, etc.) to my previous hard drive (now labeled A:; which was reformatted). I've installed MS Office 2010, Corel X4, Google Chrome, Logitech Webcam, Windows Live, and Skype. I'm trying to disable some of the startup programs through msconfig. When I type msconfig in the search box or directly run the program from its location (both of which I've tried running as Administrator), I get an error message that reads...

Windows cannot find 'C:\Windows\System32\msconfig.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again.

I've tried running the cmd program and get the same message, except I get "cmd.exe" instead of "msconfig.exe"

I would really like to keep my Documents and future program installs on my A: drive.  Any suggestions. I appreciate your help.

Thursday, January 13, 2011 2:37 PM

Answers

• All I had to do was copy my Program Files over from my C: drive to my A: drive. Everything works fine now. Thanks for the help.
    • Proposed as answer by Andre.Ziegler Friday, January 14, 2011 3:36 PM
    • Marked as answer by stillrunning Friday, January 14, 2011 3:39 PM
    Friday, January 14, 2011 3:34 PM

All replies

• It may be your use of the letter A: for your old hard drive.  A: & B: drives used to be reserved for floppy disk drives only and could not be used for fixed hard drives, but I don't know if that is still relative with Windows 7.
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 3:15 PM
  • That didn't work. It appears to be any .exe in the Windows\System32 folder
    Friday, January 14, 2011 2:03 AM
  • All I had to do was copy my Program Files over from my C: drive to my A: drive. Everything works fine now. Thanks for the help.
    • Proposed as answer by Andre.Ziegler Friday, January 14, 2011 3:36 PM
    • Marked as answer by stillrunning Friday, January 14, 2011 3:39 PM
    Friday, January 14, 2011 3:34 PM