none
DPM Disk question RRS feed

• Question

• I have direct storage array in a raid 5 setting. This has worked fine but we keep growning and adding more and more 2 tb drives to it and now I am getting disk extent errors when creating new volumes even though I have free space. I think its because we now have 20 TB in the raid 5 drive. It is configured as a dynamic drive. What is the best practice on this. Should it be a GPT dynamic drive? To convert it I have to move all of the data off of it so want to see if this is the issue before I go through all of that work. I also keep getting errors saying relica disk threshold exceeded but I have it set to auto grow the volumes and currently have 5 TB of free space on my disk.

Any advice appreciated.

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 8:10 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Master Boot Record (MBR) Disks are limited to 2TB - that is true for basic or Dynamic disks  - if you extend a MBR disk beyond the 2TB limit, that space cannot be used, it's basically wasted space.  With that said you have mentioned that the disk in the DPM storage pool is a hardware raid-5 disk, that it's current size is 20TB with 5TB free space.  This means that disk has to already be a GPT disk.    Can you confirm by running these two commands and attach the output.

Start the DPM power shell - then run these series of command, then copy / paste the output in this thread.

PS C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\bin> get-dpmdisk dpm-server-name
       ...OUTPUT IS RETURNED..

PS C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\bin> diskpart.exe

Microsoft DiskPart version 6.1.7600
    Copyright (C) 1999-2008 Microsoft Corporation.
    On computer: LC2-DPMLIB1

DISKPART> list disk
       ... OUTPUT IS RETURNED ...

DISKPART> exit

Leaving DiskPart...
    PS C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\bin>

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, April 29, 2011 9:50 PM

All replies

• It definitely should be a GPT drive if it is more than 2TB - dynamic or basic  is a different question - I'd go with dynamic.

Tom

I have direct storage array in a raid 5 setting. This has worked fine but we keep growning and adding more and more 2 tb drives to it and now I am getting disk extent errors when creating new volumes even though I have free space. I think its because we now have 20 TB in the raid 5 drive. It is configured as a dynamic drive. What is the best practice on this. Should it be a GPT dynamic drive? To convert it I have to move all of the data off of it so want to see if this is the issue before I go through all of that work. I also keep getting errors saying relica disk threshold exceeded but I have it set to auto grow the volumes and currently have 5 TB of free space on my disk.

Any advice appreciated.

Sunday, April 24, 2011 8:42 AM
  • DPM dev group recommends maximum of 17 TB for GPT dynamic disks. So you should use LUNs <17 TB in your storage array.
    My DPM blog ystartsev.wordpress.com
    Monday, April 25, 2011 6:30 PM
  • Hello,

Master Boot Record (MBR) Disks are limited to 2TB - that is true for basic or Dynamic disks  - if you extend a MBR disk beyond the 2TB limit, that space cannot be used, it's basically wasted space.  With that said you have mentioned that the disk in the DPM storage pool is a hardware raid-5 disk, that it's current size is 20TB with 5TB free space.  This means that disk has to already be a GPT disk.    Can you confirm by running these two commands and attach the output.

Start the DPM power shell - then run these series of command, then copy / paste the output in this thread.

PS C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\bin> get-dpmdisk dpm-server-name
       ...OUTPUT IS RETURNED..

PS C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\bin> diskpart.exe

Microsoft DiskPart version 6.1.7600
    Copyright (C) 1999-2008 Microsoft Corporation.
    On computer: LC2-DPMLIB1

DISKPART> list disk
       ... OUTPUT IS RETURNED ...

DISKPART> exit

Leaving DiskPart...
    PS C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\bin>

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, April 29, 2011 9:50 PM