none
Providing Project Link in workflow email notification RRS feed

Answers

• Hi Shanky,

I was thinking more of having an enterprise custom text field which will store the Project ID as well. The field can be populated either through a formula or a JavaScript function.

Once you have the Uid saved in that field, you can try using the field value and populate the URL in your workflow.

Paul

• Marked as answer by shankyshan Monday, June 1, 2015 11:28 AM
    Thursday, May 21, 2015 4:25 PM
  • Hi Shanky,

Please see if this suits the requirement:

Create a view in db with columns as project name and project uid. Create a list in sharepoint - list will have project name and uid field (dependent lookup)  and link field (formula field)- Using infopath form, setup a connection to db view - you can get project link in link field - as soon as an item is added in list, workflow will be triggered and through email link can be sent to users.

Thanks.

Sunday, May 24, 2015 9:42 AM

All replies

• Hi Shanky,

I remember running into this issue and we just removed the URL from the emails at the time. I didn't spend too much time to find a solution then.

One of the things you can try is to create your workflows using Visual Studio or use web services.

Another option would be to get the ProjectUID in a custom field and then use the custom field in the dynamic URL

Hope this helps

Paul

Monday, May 18, 2015 8:41 AM
  • Hello Paul,

The 3rd option sounds applicable to me as I am using OOTB solution.

But I did not get it properly, does it mean to say that, use a custom field and assign the UID to it ? [I tried doing so, but custom field doesnt have an option to pick Project UID from the available field options]

Or does it mean to use a workflow variable, assign it the UID and use that in eMail [This doesnt work, as workflow gets only NULL for Project UID]

Or does it mean that I should use my own logic to create a new UID and assign it to the project field UID ? [In workflow it doesnt allow me to set the Project UID]

I also tried using an external list to populate the UID and use it, but it also doesnt allow me to view the UID, and the workflow doesnt allo me to access External list.

Or is there any way that I can use the Project Name in the link  to access it?

Or a way through which I can query the UID from SQL database and use it in workflow [SSRS reports allow this querying, but not sure how to get that info into the workflow]

Please guide me through this,

Thanks,

Shanky

• Edited by shankyshan Tuesday, May 19, 2015 11:14 AM update
    Tuesday, May 19, 2015 11:10 AM
  • Hi Shanky,

I was thinking more of having an enterprise custom text field which will store the Project ID as well. The field can be populated either through a formula or a JavaScript function.

Once you have the Uid saved in that field, you can try using the field value and populate the URL in your workflow.

Paul

Thursday, May 21, 2015 4:25 PM
  • Hi Shanky,

Please see if this suits the requirement:

Create a view in db with columns as project name and project uid. Create a list in sharepoint - list will have project name and uid field (dependent lookup)  and link field (formula field)- Using infopath form, setup a connection to db view - you can get project link in link field - as soon as an item is added in list, workflow will be triggered and through email link can be sent to users.

Thanks.

Sunday, May 24, 2015 9:42 AM