none
DPM 2012 hardware requirements RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I would like to install DPM 2012 SP1 on a server which has these hardware specifications:

8 Gb ram

Intel Xeon E5504 Ghz CPU

2 72 Gb disks in raid 0+1 (system disk)

3 146 Gb disks in raid 5 (storage pool)

My question is can I install both DPM and a local SQL 2008 database on the 72 Go disk?

Thanks for your help.

Sunday, March 3, 2013 11:18 AM

Answers

• Hi MsNood,

Answer is Yes.

During setup at step :

• Prerequisites check, select Use the dedicated instance of SQL server.
    • Installation setting, use default settings for database files (C:\Program files\....\DPM\DPMDB)

Stephane

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties. knowledge is valid only if it is shared by All.

My DPM blog Yet Another DPM Blog

• Marked as answer by MsNoob Sunday, March 3, 2013 2:57 PM
    Sunday, March 3, 2013 1:41 PM
  • Hi MsNoob,

Microsoft do not provide any information of the maximum size of DPM database. Minimum recommended size is 900 MB.

DPM db size depend on many factors: number and nature of datasource protected, jobs frequency, etc. If you plan to protect Exchange, SharePoint or Hyper V workload, you can use DPM storage calculator. You will have an accurate estimation of your DPM db size.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/download/details.aspx?id=24375

Until now, I've never seen a (healthy) DPM database having a size of more than 30 GB.  (But it can probably happen)

Stephane

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties. knowledge is valid only if it is shared by All.

• Marked as answer by MsNoob Monday, March 4, 2013 9:51 AM
    Sunday, March 3, 2013 3:41 PM

All replies

• Hi MsNood,

Answer is Yes.

During setup at step :

• Prerequisites check, select Use the dedicated instance of SQL server.
    • Installation setting, use default settings for database files (C:\Program files\....\DPM\DPMDB)

Stephane

• Marked as answer by MsNoob Sunday, March 3, 2013 2:57 PM
    Sunday, March 3, 2013 1:41 PM
  • Hi Stephane

I was worried about the size of the database on the system disk. I'm going to install DPM and SQL on the system disk.

Thank you for your help

Sunday, March 3, 2013 2:57 PM
  • Hi MsNoob,

Microsoft do not provide any information of the maximum size of DPM database. Minimum recommended size is 900 MB.

DPM db size depend on many factors: number and nature of datasource protected, jobs frequency, etc. If you plan to protect Exchange, SharePoint or Hyper V workload, you can use DPM storage calculator. You will have an accurate estimation of your DPM db size.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/download/details.aspx?id=24375

Until now, I've never seen a (healthy) DPM database having a size of more than 30 GB.  (But it can probably happen)

Stephane

• Marked as answer by MsNoob Monday, March 4, 2013 9:51 AM
    Sunday, March 3, 2013 3:41 PM
  • Hi Stephane,

Great tool! It covers so many aspects of an Exchange Installation. Thank you for your help :)

Monday, March 4, 2013 9:51 AM
  • Your welcome :)

Stephane

Monday, March 4, 2013 9:52 AM