Document Library problem RRS feed

• Question

• I uploaded some outlook templates (.oft files) to a document library in SharePoint 2007. However, when I try to open the document, it gives me a "Page cannot be displayed" error. When I upload word documents to SharePoint document libraries, they open in Word. Excel documents open in Excel. Does anyone know why these documents will not open in Outlook?

Thank you for any help you can provide!

• Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, June 15, 2011 6:09 AM normal admin q - not ecm (From:SharePoint - Enterprise Content Management (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Tuesday, June 14, 2011 5:46 PM

Answers

• You said. you uploaded the template file. So when you are trying to open that file it is trying to create a new document from that, probably a new e-mail. Is it creating any new message in outlook or any other email client in your computer ?
    ANJI Y
    • Marked as answer by David HM Thursday, June 23, 2011 1:31 AM
    Thursday, June 16, 2011 6:12 PM

All replies

• Hi,

According to your description, at first, I suggest that you should have a try to re-open document as an administrator. If not successful, it means not a permissions problem.

In my opinion, I guess this issue is that SharePoint doesn’t support the function of opening .oft files.

Best Regards
    David Hu
    Thursday, June 16, 2011 9:17 AM
  • HI 

first check it permission and file type  in admin part. 

Deepesh Yevle MCTS
    Thursday, June 16, 2011 3:57 PM
  • You said. you uploaded the template file. So when you are trying to open that file it is trying to create a new document from that, probably a new e-mail. Is it creating any new message in outlook or any other email client in your computer ?
    ANJI Y
    • Marked as answer by David HM Thursday, June 23, 2011 1:31 AM
    Thursday, June 16, 2011 6:12 PM
  • No. It is strange because I have seen this function before on a SharePoint 2007 Server before, but keep getting the page cannot be displayed error. In the meantime I have uploaded the files as ".msg" files and they open fine. The only problem with this is that it does not insert the user's signature in this format.

This is a perfectly acceptable workaround for now. But if there is any other way to make the ".oft" files work in SharePoint, that would be preferred. Thanks for all your help.

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 9:45 PM
  • I would have assumed the same thing, except that I have seen ".oft" files work in SharePoint before.

Thanks for your help.

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 9:46 PM