none
Modify Protection Group for new database RRS feed

• Question

• Can you give me the powershell which is required to modify a protection group, so that I can add start protecting a newly added database for SQL Server protection.
    Tuesday, February 1, 2011 11:15 AM

Answers

All replies

• What version of DPM are you using? With DPM 2010, we have a new feature that lets you auto-protect a SQL Instance. Any newly added databases to this instance get protected by DPM.

Please have a look at the following technet article: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399343.aspx

Thanks, Hitesh “This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.”
    • Marked as answer by MSDN Student Thursday, February 10, 2011 10:16 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by MSDN Student Thursday, February 10, 2011 10:16 AM
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 6:15 AM
  • Autoprotect may not be good for me.

You see my SQL isntance contains two types of databases one is the SP2010 Content Databases and the second one is the Service Application Databases.

I don't protect the Content databases as SQL protection because DPM protects those DBs via the SharePoint farm protection. This is good because that way I get some goodness from DPM in the form of "item level restores"

So only the Service App Databases are to be added automatically.

Now I have two protection groups today. The first one is a SharePoint 2010 protection group (which protects all Content Databases automatically) and then a second protection group which protects the Service Application databases like SQL databases.

SP2010 protection automatically detects new content dbs. I don't have to do anything for protection group 1

Its only the protection group 2 which needs autoprotect... but it should not touch the Content DBs because they are automatically taken care of by group 1

Thursday, February 10, 2011 10:21 AM
  • There is a sample script at: http://blogs.technet.com/b/dpm/archive/2007/11/19/script-auto-add-new-sql-dbs-for-protection.aspx. See if it helps you.
    Thanks, Hitesh “This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.”
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 10:38 AM
  • You should be able to do this without a script.  Selecting the instance after you have already protected it as a SharePoint workload will allow you to do auto protection on it.  DPM will first try to auto add to the SharePoint protection data source and determine if the database is a content database and if so, add it to that (the SharePoint) protection.  If it is not content, then the regular SQL autoprotection will kick in and add it to the SQL protection instance.

Here is a blog I wrote that talks about this:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/dpm/archive/2010/05/10/how-to-be-sure-that-your-sharepoint-farm-is-fully-protected.aspx 

Thanks, Chris Bu - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Wednesday, March 2, 2011 4:27 PM