none
Exporting Notes field from MS Project to Excel RRS feed

• Question

• I have some rather large notes fields in my MS Project file (Project 2003) and when I attempt to export them using the standard utility they are truncated to the first line. I believe there may be a utility (macro) that someone had written that could help me correct this? I believe I saw this on an older post and I'm not sure it's still being monitored, so I am creating a new thread just in case.

Thanks!

Friday, March 8, 2013 1:14 PM

Answers

All replies

• I think John J. wrote this macro.  I'll send him an email directing him to your post.

Julie

Friday, March 8, 2013 2:03 PM
  • Users,

NunyaBiznas did contact me directly and I did provide the macro. And thanks to Julie for the heads up.

John

Friday, March 8, 2013 4:56 PM
  • Hi,

Can I obtain this script as well?  I actually ran into this issue in Project 2010 and was researching to see if 2013 had changed in a way to where I could export the Notes.  If so, I was going to upgrade.  However,  it does not appear to be the case based on this thread.

Regards,

C. Knight

Thursday, March 28, 2013 2:54 AM
  • Hi C. Knight,

To the best of my knowledge there is not a change in Project 2013 - I believe the Notes fields is stored in the same way.

I'll contact John and ask him to weigh in here.

Julie

Thursday, March 28, 2013 5:58 PM
  • Thank you Julie...
    Thursday, March 28, 2013 6:53 PM
  • C. Knight,

I got a note from Julie before I checked the forum but yes you can contact me at the address below. I will ask some questions.

John

jensenljatatfastmaildotdotfm

(remove obvious redundancies and the 7th character is a letter)

Friday, March 29, 2013 12:00 AM
  • Could you please send onto me?

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 1:21 PM
  • sitig,

That would be pretty hard since I don't know who you are so send me an e-mail.

John

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 3:18 PM
  • Hi!  I am having the same issue!  I can't believe MS hasn't fixed this yet.  Would you mind sending me the macro w instructions?  Thanks in advance - melissamgreenatmedotcom
    Tuesday, April 22, 2014 5:16 PM
  • MelissaMG,

Sure, send me an e-mail to the address I listed earlier. I will ask some questions.

John

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 5:29 PM
  • Users,

NunyaBiznas did contact me directly and I did provide the macro. And thanks to Julie for the heads up.

John

Sorry guys , but i've wasted a lot of time trying to develop a macro to create the requested function.

How can I get the macro created by John?

Wednesday, April 15, 2015 2:22 AM
  • Leo,

Simple, send me an e-mail to the address I listed in an earlier response of this thread. I will ask some questions.

Update: Leo did contact me but for future reference for other user who may read this thread, if you are attempting to export the full text formatting (RTF), that may have applied to the Notes field text, VBA will NOT capture and export the formatting.

John

• Edited by John - Project Wednesday, April 15, 2015 3:16 PM more info
    Wednesday, April 15, 2015 2:53 AM
  • John, thanks so much for sending me the macro... worked perfectly.
    Thursday, April 30, 2015 3:56 PM
  • DAve0726,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

John

Thursday, April 30, 2015 6:33 PM
  • Can I get a copy of the macro as well please?  Thanks. 
    Wednesday, August 24, 2016 4:37 PM
  • Patti,

Sure, it's all detailed in the following Wiki article:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/32126.ms-project-truncated-project-notes-when-viewingexporting.aspx

If that does (or does not) addresses your issue, feedback is appreciated.

John

• Proposed as answer by Ai Le Tuesday, May 8, 2018 4:58 PM
    Wednesday, August 24, 2016 6:02 PM
  • John,

I am having the same issue! 

Would you mind sending me the macro w instructions? 

Thanks in advance

Ai

Monday, May 7, 2018 2:42 AM
  • Ai,

Everything you need is in the Wiki article I cited in my response above on August 24, 2016. If you have problems with the macro, post back.

John

• Proposed as answer by Ai Le Tuesday, May 8, 2018 4:58 PM
    Monday, May 7, 2018 1:11 PM
  • John,

Amazing!!!
    I worked completely.

Thank you for sharing knowledge.

Ai

Tuesday, May 8, 2018 4:57 PM
  • Ai,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

John

Tuesday, May 8, 2018 6:54 PM