How to Stop WSUS Unnessessary Updates RRS feed

• Question

• Dear All,

Please let me know how can I stop Workstation to Download updates which do not belong to them from WSUS.

in my environment Downloads are locally installed on WSUS, Client is trying to Download updates which do not belong to them i.e if office 2013 is installed on some Workstation it is trying to Download updates for Office 2010 which are downloaded on WSUS  for other Clients where 2010 is installed. 

Thanks 

Kaleemullah Bilal

Sunday, October 7, 2018 5:09 AM

All replies

• The Windows Update Agent on each individual computer reaches out to the WSUS (or Microsoft) server and asks what updates are available for the products that the Agent finds on the system. WSUS (or Microsoft) will then respond with all updates that are available and approved that are requested by the Windows Update Agent locally on the system.

If WSUS does not have the product checked in options, it cannot give any information to the client system about it (eg, if you have Office 2013 on the client system but only have Office 2010 checked in the products on WSUS, Office 2013 will never update.) At the same time, if you have multiple products checked in WSUS where the client system only has 1 or 2 of them, then ONLY those updates that are needed by the client computer will download and install. (eg, if you have both Office 2010 and Office 2013 checked in WSUS along with Windows 7 and Windows 10, and a Windows 10 client with Office 2013 requests updates, the system will only download Windows 10 updates with Office 2013 updates as those are the only ones that are 'needed' by the client system.)

Adam Marshall, MCSE: Security
    https://www.ajtek.ca
    Microsoft MVP - Windows and Devices for IT

• Proposed as answer by Johnson ZDH Monday, October 8, 2018 2:32 AM
    Sunday, October 7, 2018 2:39 PM
  • Hi kaleem,

Agree with the Adma definitely.

Besides, you can decline the updates manually in WSUS if you don't want it.

Best regards,
    Johnson
    =====================
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Monday, October 8, 2018 2:32 AM