Degraded Storage Spaces Storage Pool after single HDD failure RRS feed

• Question

• Recently migrated all my data to a Windows Server 2012 Essentials Storage Spaces Storage Pool.  I got an alert that my drive was not functioning and is offline.

Logged into the server;

Opened the Storage Spaces GUI, however it froze when opened.  The Disk Management snap-in also froze when opened.

Several Warnings in the System Logs -- Event 153 Disk, The IO operation at logical block address fffff00 for Disk 9 was retried.  (The disk 9 Friendly name is 'EXT 3')

Removed the Problem Drive and then the GUI's responded.  Attempted to remove the drive.  This Drive is a 2TB Hitachi Deskstar.

I get an Error, Can't remove the drive from the pool, the Details say Drive could not be removed because not all the data could be reallocated.  Add an additional drive to this pool and reattempt this operation.

This seems strange to me because my pool size was 20.9 TB and the used space was 10.9 TB, I should have plenty of space to re-write the data.

The storage space the drive was a part of is reporting "Error Inaccessible; check the Physical drives section."

The Physical Drives have all drives Okay except there is a Warning on my removed problem drive reporting "Warning Retired; add a drive then remove this drive."

I thought I'd try to make storage spaces happy, I added a different 2TB drive and received the same messages when attempting to remove the retired drive.

I then tried to remove the drive from Powershell, below is the output from the script (receiving an error StorageWMI 51004).  I'd prefer not to lose all this data if possible, any suggestions would be appreciated.  I did not expect that it would be possible to lose this entire pool on a single drive failure. 

PS C:\Windows\system32> Get-StoragePool -FriendlyName "Storage pool"

FriendlyName          OperationalStatus     HealthStatus          IsPrimordial          IsReadOnly           
    ------------          -----------------     ------------          ------------          ----------           
    Storage pool          Degraded              Warning               False                 False                

PS C:\Windows\system32> Get-StoragePool -FriendlyName "Storage pool" | Get-PhysicalDisk

FriendlyName       CanPool            OperationalStatus HealthStatus      Usage                          Size
    ------------       -------            ----------------- ------------      -----                          ----
    INT 7              False              OK                Healthy           Auto-Select                 1.36 TB
    EXT 1              False              OK                Healthy           Auto-Select                 1.82 TB
    INT 6              False              OK                Healthy           Auto-Select                 1.82 TB
    EXT 3              False              Lost Communica... Warning           Retired                     1.82 TB
    INT 8              False              OK                Healthy           Auto-Select                 1.36 TB
    INT 5              False              OK                Healthy           Auto-Select                 1.82 TB
    INT 4              False              OK                Healthy           Auto-Select                 1.82 TB
    EXT 2              False              OK                Healthy           Auto-Select                  698 GB
    EXT 4              False              OK                Healthy           Auto-Select                  698 GB
    INT 2              False              OK                Healthy           Auto-Select                 1.36 TB
    INT 1              False              OK                Healthy           Auto-Select                 1.36 TB
    INT 3              False              OK                Healthy           Auto-Select                 1.36 TB
    INT 10             False              OK                Healthy           Auto-Select                 1.82 TB
    INT 9              False              OK                Healthy           Auto-Select                 1.82 TB

PS C:\Windows\system32> $PhysicalDisk = Get-PhysicalDisk -FriendlyName "EXT 3"
    $StoragePool = Get-StoragePool -FriendlyName "Storage pool"
    Remove-PhysicalDisk -StoragePool $StoragePool -PhysicalDisks $PhysicalDisk
    Remove-PhysicalDisk : One of the physical disks specified could not be removed because it is still in use.
    At line:3 char:1
    + Remove-PhysicalDisk -StoragePool $StoragePool -PhysicalDisks $PDToRemove
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (StorageWMI:ROOT/Microsoft/..._StorageCmdlets) [Remove-PhysicalD 
       isk], CimException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : StorageWMI 51004,Remove-PhysicalDisk

PS C:\Windows\system32> Get-StoragePool -FriendlyName "Storage pool" | fl *

Usage                             : Other
    OperationalStatus                 : Degraded
    HealthStatus                      : Warning
    ProvisioningTypeDefault           : Fixed
    SupportedProvisioningTypes        : {Thin, Fixed}
    ReadOnlyReason                    : None
    RetireMissingPhysicalDisks        : Auto
    ObjectId                          : {4028962b-26f2-11e2-93f5-1c6f65975433}
    PassThroughClass                  : 
    PassThroughIds                    : 
    PassThroughNamespace              : 
    PassThroughServer                 : 
    UniqueId                          : {4028962b-26f2-11e2-93f5-1c6f65975433}
    AllocatedSize                     : 12069394972672
    ClearOnDeallocate                 : False
    EnclosureAwareDefault             : False
    FriendlyName                      : Storage pool
    IsClustered                       : False
    IsPowerProtected                  : False
    IsPrimordial                      : False
    IsReadOnly                        : False
    LogicalSectorSize                 : 4096
    Name                              : 
    OtherOperationalStatusDescription : 
    OtherUsageDescription             : 
    PhysicalSectorSize                : 4096
    ResiliencySettingNameDefault      : Mirror
    Size                              : 22993375854592
    SupportsDeduplication             : False
    ThinProvisioningAlertThresholds   : {70}
    PSComputerName                    : 
    CimClass                          : ROOT/Microsoft/Windows/Storage:MSFT_StoragePool
    CimInstanceProperties             : {ObjectId, PassThroughClass, PassThroughIds, PassThroughNamespace...}
    CimSystemProperties               : Microsoft.Management.Infrastructure.CimSystemProperties

Thursday, November 15, 2012 2:08 AM

Answers

• Minor solution + comment on SS

Minor solution: in my understanding, the software sequence to remove a defective disk from a storage pool is to have the database reconstructed before removing the defective disk from the SP. Physically you can remove the hardisk or not, but mandatorily add a new hardisk; then you should verify the storage space being reconstructed (in disk management), it is only after reconstruction that you remove the disk from the pool (in disk management). Not sure you used that sequence from the description you made.

Comment on Storage Spaces: I may not make friends with this but I think that SS is great, but still not mature. Therefore I would use a conservative approach with SS. The general reflex is to pool all our disks into a big Storage Pool and then create several Storage Spaces depending on our needs. With this scenario, when a disk fails, there is a great messup, because the defective disk could contain different SS from wich the "Simple" SS cannot reconstruct. This is why I create as many Storage Pools as Storage Spaces. Usually on SS in one SP. In this scenario a "Two way mirror" Space will be made up of only two disks (of equal size) in a corresponding Storage Pool. Even if I have many disks and want only "Two way mirror" Spaces, I should create a different Pool for every two disks. Therefore, if a disk fails it affects only one Pool and one Storage Space which is a lot better manageable. The complexity of mixing Pools, Spaces, Shares and Files, besides "thin provisioning" (which I don't use), forces me to that conservative and prudent set-up

vj

• Marked as answer by James Xiong Friday, November 30, 2012 1:28 AM
    Friday, November 16, 2012 4:37 PM

All replies

• Is there any crude way to remove a drive from a pool?  I'd just like to bring the pool back online so I can pull whatever is there and not corrupted off.  I remember the drive only being about 8.5% full, there couldn't have been a lot of data on this drive.  Any suggestions that anyone can provide is much appreciated.
    Thursday, November 15, 2012 11:13 PM
  • Minor solution + comment on SS

Minor solution: in my understanding, the software sequence to remove a defective disk from a storage pool is to have the database reconstructed before removing the defective disk from the SP. Physically you can remove the hardisk or not, but mandatorily add a new hardisk; then you should verify the storage space being reconstructed (in disk management), it is only after reconstruction that you remove the disk from the pool (in disk management). Not sure you used that sequence from the description you made.

Comment on Storage Spaces: I may not make friends with this but I think that SS is great, but still not mature. Therefore I would use a conservative approach with SS. The general reflex is to pool all our disks into a big Storage Pool and then create several Storage Spaces depending on our needs. With this scenario, when a disk fails, there is a great messup, because the defective disk could contain different SS from wich the "Simple" SS cannot reconstruct. This is why I create as many Storage Pools as Storage Spaces. Usually on SS in one SP. In this scenario a "Two way mirror" Space will be made up of only two disks (of equal size) in a corresponding Storage Pool. Even if I have many disks and want only "Two way mirror" Spaces, I should create a different Pool for every two disks. Therefore, if a disk fails it affects only one Pool and one Storage Space which is a lot better manageable. The complexity of mixing Pools, Spaces, Shares and Files, besides "thin provisioning" (which I don't use), forces me to that conservative and prudent set-up

vj

• Marked as answer by James Xiong Friday, November 30, 2012 1:28 AM
    Friday, November 16, 2012 4:37 PM
  • ### Reproduce

* create "Simple" storage space from two physical drives
    * disconnect one physical drive
    * remove the disconnected drive: "One of the physical disks specified could not be removed …"
    * add additional physical disk with same size: problem unchanged
    * add additional physical disk with same size: problem unchanged

### Problem

$PhysicalDisk = Get-PhysicalDisk -FriendlyName "1"
    Remove-PhysicalDisk -StoragePoolFriendlyName "Storage pool" -PhysicalDisks $PhysicalDisk

Confirm
    Are you sure you want to perform this action?
    Removing a Physical Disk will cause problems with the fault tolerence capabilities of StoragePool "Storage pool".
    [Y] Yes  [A] Yes to All  [N] No  [L] No to All  [S] Suspend  [?] Help (default is "Y"): y
    Remove-PhysicalDisk : One of the physical disks specified could not be removed because it is still in use.
    At line:1 char:1
    + Remove-PhysicalDisk -StoragePoolFriendlyName "Storage pool" -PhysicalDisks $Phys ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (StorageWMI:ROOT/Microsoft/..._StorageCmdlets) [Remove-PhysicalDisk], CimE
      xception
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : StorageWMI 51004,Remove-PhysicalDisk

### System

ver
    Microsoft Windows [Version 6.2.9200]

Get-SpacesConfiguration -StoragePoolFriendlyName Storage*
    StoragePoolFriendlyName        : Storage*
    HealthStatus                   : Warning
    IsReadOnly                     : False
    IsClusteredStoragePool         : False
    ThinProvisionAlertThreshold    : 70 %
    StoragePoolFreeGigabytes       : 394
    StoragePoolUsedSpacePercent    : 0.88
    StoragePoolFreeSpacePercent    : 99.12
    OperationalStatus              : Degraded
    NumberofPhysicalDisksInPool    : 4
    NumberofStorageSpacesInPool    : 1
    NumberofUnhealthyPhysicalDisks : 1
    NumberofUnhealthyStorageSpaces : 1

WARNING: No disk is found on the space Storage space. This is expected for Cluster Shared Volumes.
    OperationalStatus         : Detached
    HealthStatus              : Unhealthy
    BackingPhysicalDisks      : {0, 1}
    PoolFriendlyName          : Storage pool
    SpaceFriendlyName         : Storage space
    StorageSpaceUniqueID      : D470F7302890E211BEA1000C29D599DE
    IsManualAttach            : False
    DetachedReason            : Incomplete
    SpaceUsageAlertPercentage : {70}

Get-SpacesPhysicalDisk
    FriendlyName        CanPool             OperationalStatus   HealthStatus        Usage                              Size
    ------------        -------             -----------------   ------------        -----                              ----
    2                   False               OK                  Healthy             Auto-Select                    99.25 GB
    0                   False               OK                  Healthy             Auto-Select                    99.25 GB
    1                   False               Lost Communication  Warning             Retired                        99.25 GB
    3                   False               OK                  Healthy             Auto-Select                    99.25 GB
    PhysicalDisk0       False               OK                  Healthy             Auto-Select                      100 GB

Get-SpacesVolume
    WARNING: No disk is found on the space Storage space. This is expected for Cluster Shared Volumes.
    OperationalStatus         : Detached
    HealthStatus              : Unhealthy
    BackingPhysicalDisks      : {0, 1}
    PoolFriendlyName          : Storage pool
    SpaceFriendlyName         : Storage space
    StorageSpaceUniqueID      : D470F7302890E211BEA1000C29D599DE
    IsManualAttach            : False
    DetachedReason            : Incomplete
    SpaceUsageAlertPercentage : {70}

Get-SpacesPoolPhysicalDiskHWCounter -StoragePoolFriendlyName Storage*
    PhysicalDiskFriendlyName  : 2
    PhysicalDiskUniqueID      : SCSI\Disk&Ven_VMware_&Prod_VMware_Virtual_S\5&1982005&0&000200:w8
    CurrentTemperatureCelsius :
    PowerOnHours              :
    ReadErrorsTotal           :
    WriteErrorsTotal          :
    ReadLatencyMax            : 0
    WriteLatencyMax           : 50

PhysicalDiskFriendlyName  : 0
    PhysicalDiskUniqueID      : SCSI\Disk&Ven_VMware_&Prod_VMware_Virtual_S\5&1982005&0&000100:w8
    ReadLatencyMax            : 47
    WriteLatencyMax           : 80

PhysicalDiskFriendlyName  : 1
    PhysicalDiskUniqueID      :
    ReadLatencyMax            :
    WriteLatencyMax           :

PhysicalDiskFriendlyName  : 3
    PhysicalDiskUniqueID      : SCSI\Disk&Ven_VMware_&Prod_VMware_Virtual_S\5&1982005&0&000300:w8
    ReadLatencyMax            : 38
    WriteLatencyMax           : 31

Get-StoragePool -FriendlyName "Storage pool"|fl *
    Usage                             : Other
    OperationalStatus                 : Degraded
    HealthStatus                      : Warning
    ProvisioningTypeDefault           : Fixed
    SupportedProvisioningTypes        : {Thin, Fixed}
    ReadOnlyReason                    : None
    RetireMissingPhysicalDisks        : Auto
    ObjectId                          : {99833663-9025-11e2-be9c-000c29d599de}
    PassThroughClass                  :
    PassThroughIds                    :
    PassThroughNamespace              :
    PassThroughServer                 :
    UniqueId                          : {99833663-9025-11e2-be9c-000c29d599de}
    AllocatedSize                     : 3758096384
    ClearOnDeallocate                 : False
    EnclosureAwareDefault             : False
    FriendlyName                      : Storage pool
    IsClustered                       : False
    IsPowerProtected                  : False
    IsPrimordial                      : False
    IsReadOnly                        : False
    LogicalSectorSize                 : 4096
    Name                              :
    OtherUsageDescription             :
    PhysicalSectorSize                : 4096
    ResiliencySettingNameDefault      : Mirror
    Size                              : 426275504128
    SupportsDeduplication             : False
    ThinProvisioningAlertThresholds   : {70}
    PSComputerName                    :
    CimClass                          : ROOT/Microsoft/Windows/Storage:MSFT_StoragePool
    CimInstanceProperties             : {ObjectId, PassThroughClass, PassThroughIds, PassThroughNamespace...}
    CimSystemProperties               : Microsoft.Management.Infrastructure.CimSystemProperties

"Storage spaces" is "Simple"
    Tuesday, March 19, 2013 7:47 AM
  • Not following?  Do you need me to open up a support case for you?
    Wednesday, March 20, 2013 5:29 AM
  • Did you find a solution to this problem? Or did you end up losing everything? I'm in the same boat. 
    Tuesday, September 17, 2013 2:55 AM
  • Are there any solutions here? I'm facing a similar issue. I have two journal disks with "Lost Communication" status, I can't bring the storage space online, despite having replaced the journal disks, I can't remove the old disks from the pool as they are "in use", and I can't get the storage space to use new journal disks or repair in any meaningful way.

I don't even care about the old journal disks, that space hasn't been written to in months (read operations only). 

The best I can get are "catch-22" type errors (the disk can't be removed because it's in use, it's in use because you can't remove it and the space is waiting on it to come back) and the ever-friendly and useful "Failed." without any event log entries or codes.

Monday, November 18, 2013 4:28 PM
  • Same here!

I did a test on a Server 2012 R2 VM:

• Adding two disks
    • Make this disks member of a pool
    • Create a simple 2 way mirror
    • Removed one disk, Windows storage manamgent reports "degraded"
    • Add a new disk and add it to the pool
    • Try to remove the failed disk, now the recreation process should start

BUT: Absolutely nothing happens! a wait for 24 hours and the new disk is still empty! Besides of that, you have no indicator how recovery is progressing.

ObjectId                          : {1}\\FILER1\root/Microsoft/Windows/Storage/Providers_v2\SPACES_VirtualDisk.ObjectId
                                        ="{dc61ceaf-62fd-11e3-80b0-806e6f6e6963}:VD:{5d16fab0-8759-11e3-80c1-00155d0a0650}{
                                        5d16fac1-8759-11e3-80c1-00155d0a0650}"
    PassThroughClass                  :
    PassThroughIds                    :
    PassThroughNamespace              :
    PassThroughServer                 :
    UniqueId                          : C1FA165D5987E31180C100155D0A0650
    Access                            : Read/Write
    AllocatedSize                     : 2147483648
    DetachedReason                    : None
    FootprintOnPool                   : 4294967296
    FriendlyName                      : 2WayMirror
    HealthStatus                      : Warning
    Interleave                        : 262144
    IsDeduplicationEnabled            : False
    IsEnclosureAware                  : False
    IsManualAttach                    : False
    IsSnapshot                        : False
    LogicalSectorSize                 : 4096
    Name                              :
    NameFormat                        :
    NumberOfAvailableCopies           :
    NumberOfColumns                   : 1
    NumberOfDataCopies                : 2
    OperationalStatus                 : Incomplete
    OtherUsageDescription             :
    ParityLayout                      : Unknown
    PhysicalDiskRedundancy            : 1
    PhysicalSectorSize                : 4096
    ProvisioningType                  : Thin
    RequestNoSinglePointOfFailure     : False
    ResiliencySettingName             : Mirror
    Size                              : 53687091200
    UniqueIdFormat                    : Vendor Specific
    UniqueIdFormatDescription         :
    Usage                             : Other
    WriteCacheSize                    : 0
    PSComputerName                    :

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 12:10 PM
  • Deleted previous reply as I may have misread your procedure.
    Wednesday, January 29, 2014 4:31 PM
  • Hi, I have the Same issue. It's not rebuilding. Did you solve the issue? Thanks
    Friday, January 31, 2014 10:34 PM
  • For what it's worth, I just went through this exercise for testing purposes:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/0cea2653-3ced-45f7-8915-358e963eae00/unable-to-readd-disk-to-storage-pool-server-2012-r2-essentials?forum=winserverfiles

First, you cannot remove a failed drive from a pool without first adding a replacement drive.  The drive you add must have sufficient space to allow for reallocation of all data. The drive must also (as I learned here), be a physically different drive from drive being replaced.

In my case, once I added a proper replacement drive, Storage Spaces was happy and I could successfully remove the failed / missing disk. It is not necessary to leave the old drive in place while rebuilding occurs.  I can confirm that rebuilding works as expected, though if you have fixed size spaces (rather than thinly provisioned ones), rebuilding can take a very long time even if there is no actual data on the disks being rebuilt.

Bear in mind that Storage Spaces stripes data at a low, physical block level across various pool drives according to the layouts of the virtual disks you have provisioned. There is no automatic rebalancing (though you can configure a drive as a hot spare).

• Edited by Gary Voth Saturday, February 1, 2014 5:47 PM
    Saturday, February 1, 2014 5:46 PM
  • The only way i got it to work:

1. Detach the failed disk and attach the new one. I reboot might be required
    2. Add the new disk to the pool
    3. Set the failed (removed) disk to "Retired" using PS: Set-PhysicalDisk -FriendlyName PhysicalDisk2 -Usage Retired
    4. Run Repair-VirtualDisk commandlet. The data will be rebalanced to the new disk (takes a while)
    5. Remove the retired disk using PowerShell. You have to do this in two steps. First you set the variable, and secondly you can remove the disk because the Remove-Disk cmdlet doesn't support friendly names: $PDToRemove = Get-PhysicalDisk -Friendlyname "PhysicalDisk25"PS C:\> Remove-PhysicalDisk -PhysicalDisks $PDToRemove -StoragePoolFriendlyName "DemoPool"

Paraplexo

Sunday, February 2, 2014 11:17 AM
  • Thanks a lot Paraplexo, that did it. It seems, that Storage Spaces is missing the GUI parts of the powershell commands ...
    Saturday, February 8, 2014 2:32 PM
  • That sums up all of what I have found should be done. But in the same boat with it not working as the first person. I replaced a failed 3 TB drive with a 4 TB drive. Set it to repair all the virtual disk's. Checked that it has finished the rebuild by using the Repair powershell command, checked it with Get-StorageJob. I ran the Get-StorageJob command with in secounds of putting in the last of the virtual disk to be repaired and it said 100 % on all of them.

I figured that perhaps the jobs would be gone when finished, so I did it again and waited for about 2 days expecting that the jobs would disapear and not just say 100% but no change when I get to the

PS: Remove-PhysicalDisk -PhysicalDisks $PDToRemove -StoragePoolFriendlyName"DemoPool"

part, I confirm with yes it may proceed I get the message that it is in use.

Any other bright ideas. From what I can read different places mostly on technet the correct way to remove a physical disk is as stated in this thread. Sometimes one can be luck and the GUI version works but not always. I however can not get it to work either way. Sure is frustrating, from where I am now all I can see is that all data on that pool (except for 3 way mirror) is lost because of a single drive failure with no recovery option that works. :( :( 

Sunday, September 21, 2014 10:10 AM
  • That sums up all of what I have found should be done. But in the same boat with it not working as the first person. I replaced a failed 3 TB drive with a 4 TB drive. Set it to repair all the virtual disk's. Checked that it has finished the rebuild by using the Repair powershell command, checked it with Get-StorageJob. I ran the Get-StorageJob command with in secounds of putting in the last of the virtual disk to be repaired and it said 100 % on all of them.

I figured that perhaps the jobs would be gone when finished, so I did it again and waited for about 2 days expecting that the jobs would disapear and not just say 100% but no change when I get to the

PS: Remove-PhysicalDisk -PhysicalDisks $PDToRemove -StoragePoolFriendlyName"DemoPool"

part, I confirm with yes it may proceed I get the message that it is in use.

Any other bright ideas. From what I can read different places mostly on technet the correct way to remove a physical disk is as stated in this thread. Sometimes one can be luck and the GUI version works but not always. I however can not get it to work either way. Sure is frustrating, from where I am now all I can see is that all data on that pool (except for 3 way mirror) is lost because of a single drive failure with no recovery option that works. :( :( 

Did you find a solution yet? I'm also getting the message that the disk is in use and there's no way for me to remove it from the storage pool.
    Thursday, December 4, 2014 3:49 PM
  • Hi,

This should work for you

As mentioned elsewhere, you must "retire" the disk before repairing it.

1)  PS C:\Users\administrator.ADATUM> get-physicalDisk

FriendlyName CanPool OperationalStatus HealthStatus Usage Size
    ———— ——- —————– ———— —– —-
    PhysicalDisk-1 False Lost Communication Warning Auto-Select 31.25 GB
    PhysicalDisk0 False OK Healthy Auto-Select 127 GB
    PhysicalDisk1 False OK Healthy Auto-Select 127 GB
    PhysicalDisk3 False OK Healthy Auto-Select 31.25 GB
    PhysicalDisk5 False OK Healthy Auto-Select 31.25 GB
    PhysicalDisk7 False OK Healthy Auto-Select 31.25 GB
    PhysicalDisk4 False OK Healthy Auto-Select 31.25 GB
    PhysicalDisk2 True OK Healthy Auto-Select 32 GB
    PhysicalDisk8 False OK Healthy Auto-Select 31.25 GB

PS C:\Users\administrator.ADATUM> $Disk = Get-PhysicalDisk -FriendlyName PhysicalDisk-1
    PS C:\Users\administrator.ADATUM> Remove-PhysicalDisk -PhysicalDisks $Disk -StoragePoolFriendlyName StoragePool1

Confirm
    Are you sure you want to perform this action?
    Removing a physical disk will cause problems with the fault tolerance capabilities of the following storage pool:
    StoragePool1″.
    Y] Yes [A] Yes to All [N] No [L] No to All [S] Suspend [?] Help (default is “Y”): Y
    emove-PhysicalDisk : The virtual disk could not complete the operation because its health or operational status does not permit it line:1 char:1
    Remove-PhysicalDisk -PhysicalDisks $Disk -StoragePoolFriendlyName StoragePool1
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : ResourceUnavailable: (StorageWMI:ROOT/Microsoft/…_StorageCmdlets) [Remove-PhysicalDisk ], CimException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : StorageWMI 50003,Remove-PhysicalDisk

2) Retire the disk you want to remove

Set-PhysicalDisk -FriendlyName PhysicalDisk-1 -Usage Retired

3) Repair virtual disk “mirrored disk”

Repair-VirtualDisk -FriendlyName “mirrored disk”

4) Remove the disk

Remove-PhysicalDisk -PhysicalDisks $Disk -StoragePoolFriendlyName StoragePool1

PS C:\Users\administrator.ADATUM> get-physicalDisk

FriendlyName CanPool OperationalStatus HealthStatus Usage Size
    ———— ——- —————– ———— —– —-
    PhysicalDisk0 False OK Healthy Auto-Select 127 GB
    PhysicalDisk1 False OK Healthy Auto-Select 127 GB
    PhysicalDisk3 False OK Healthy Auto-Select 31.25 GB
    PhysicalDisk5 False OK Healthy Auto-Select 31.25 GB
    PhysicalDisk7 False OK Healthy Auto-Select 31.25 GB
    PhysicalDisk4 False OK Healthy Auto-Select 31.25 GB
    PhysicalDisk2 True OK Healthy Auto-Select 32 GB
    PhysicalDisk8 False OK Healthy Auto-Select 31.25 GB

https://www.davidpapkin.net/unable-to-remove-failed-disk-error-when-configuring-a-redundant-storage-space-in-windows-server-2012-r2/

Regards,

David Papkin

Thursday, October 8, 2015 5:38 AM