E.164 calls not normalizing in Lync Voice Routing RRS feed

• Question

• I have a very strange issue that I can't figure out but I'll try to lay it out.

One of our offices is in Alaska which is entirely 907 area code but only certain prefixes in Anchorage for example are considered local with the rest long distance. 

So what I've done is setup seperate normalization rules for each, for local calls if the number is in the contact card it goes out E.164 and I set a norm rule to strip the +1907 and send only 7 digits to the gateway for those prefixes that are considered local and every other prefix will go out as is.

When I test this under the "Dialed number to test" within the Dial Plan it does what it's supposed to do but if go to the Test Voice Routing it tells me "No match exists for the regular expression that you built" and it ignores my norm rule to strip the +1907 and sends local calls to the gateway in full E.164 format which gives them a telco error "you do not have to dial a 1 when calling this number"

I can't set this up on the gateway as there is close to 60 or 70 prefixes I've added to the local rule.  Here are both norm rules (I left out most of the prefixes) the local rule is first in the list.

Anchorage Local +1:

Pattern to Match: ^\+1907((212|222|223|227)(\d{4}))$

Translation Rule: $1

Anchorage Long Distance:

Pattern to match: ^\+1907(\d{7}))$

Translation rule: +1907$1

I don't understand why it works testing within the dial plan but doesn't actually work.

Any ideas?

Cheers

-Eric

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 6:16 PM

Answers

• I figured this out, I didn't realize that if a number was formatted with a + sign (E.164 of course) Lync assumes that the number is formatted correctly and will not apply any of the normalization rules in the Dial Plan.

To get around this you must create a Trunk Translation Rule and place the rule in the original post there.  I tested this and it worked like a charm.

So if you need to manipulate your E.164 numbers to hit the gateway without the +1 or to add country codes etc you need to be creating those in the Trunk Configuration.

Much thanks to Ken and his awesome blog as usual.

Cheers

Eric

• Marked as answer by Diocletian Monday, August 29, 2011 4:26 PM
    Monday, August 29, 2011 4:26 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I am not sure i understand all your mean.

Do you mean your local number do not use Local normalization rules but use Long Distance rules(full E.164 format) to gateway?

Do you move up the local rules to the first? My mean is make the local rules as the highest priority.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, August 29, 2011 3:08 AM
  • Hi Eric,

I have also experienced that "Dialed number to test" within the Dial Plan gives me a match, but Test Voice Routing tells me "No match exists for the regular expression that you built".

So, it seems to be a bug in either one of these "test tools". My guess is that "Test Voice Routing" is not correct.

I am sure that it is not about the order of the rules since i tested with only one rule, I do suspect it has something to do with the "+" sign - I have not seen issues with rules with only numbers.

However, I do not know how the actual software would handle or not handle a call to be catchedby  a normalization rule where these two Control panel tools disagree, anyone knows?

/mk

Monday, August 29, 2011 5:41 AM
  • I figured this out, I didn't realize that if a number was formatted with a + sign (E.164 of course) Lync assumes that the number is formatted correctly and will not apply any of the normalization rules in the Dial Plan.

To get around this you must create a Trunk Translation Rule and place the rule in the original post there.  I tested this and it worked like a charm.

So if you need to manipulate your E.164 numbers to hit the gateway without the +1 or to add country codes etc you need to be creating those in the Trunk Configuration.

Much thanks to Ken and his awesome blog as usual.

Cheers

Eric

• Marked as answer by Diocletian Monday, August 29, 2011 4:26 PM
    Monday, August 29, 2011 4:26 PM