none
Retain host-level VM protection when VM is moved between hosts RRS feed

• Question

• Hello. We're using couple standalone Hyper-V servers, which have some VMs running on them (everything is stored locally on the host). As part of our maintenance procedure, we move (live migrate including the storage) the VMs to another host and they remain there (ie. they're not migrated back to the original host).

We backup these VMs using host-level protection in DPM.

Since this is not a cluster, when we move the VMs to another hosts, the backups on the original host fail (obviously, since the VMs are not there anymore). And we have to a) stop protecting the migrated VMs on the original host (while deleting the backups), b) set up protection on the new host. This is problematic, since there's a window where the VMs are not being backed up (depended on how fast they're migrated) and it also increases the times to create the new backups (since those are full again (also increasing network traffic)).

My question is if there's a way to retain the protection when VMs are moved between hosts? Something like tell DPM that this particular VM is now on different host and it would seamlessly continue the backups?

Thanks in advance

Note: DPM 2016, hosts are WS2016
    • Edited by MarkosP Friday, August 11, 2017 10:16 AM
    Friday, August 11, 2017 10:15 AM

Answers

• Another thread where I can answer myself.

Protection is retained. When you migrate VM between standalone hosts, DPM detects this on next backup attempt and automatically runs consistency check on the new host.

• Marked as answer by MarkosP Sunday, September 10, 2017 11:42 PM
    Sunday, September 10, 2017 11:42 PM