none
Questions regarding writing a first article RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Community,

I am thinking about writing some articles inside technet / publish "code samples" but right now I am not sure regarding a few points:

- some ideas I have for an article are quite specific / target older technology (e.g. Windows Forms). Is something like that also wanted? (So for Windows Forms there seems to be just one overview article.)

- there are also other possibilities to share knowledge. So instead of a wiki article, it could also be an idea to post an code sample on https://code.msdn.microsoft.com/  instead. (Development items are often connected with code so code examples will be important.) Are there any guidelines / suggestions when to write a technet article and when to use the code sample portal?

- When an article is written: Is there an easy way to get a review? Is there some kind of system so that experiences people see new articles so that I could get some "expert feedback" just to get a feeling what is wanted and what I should change?

Thank you in advance for sharing your view on these topic / answering my questions.

With kind regards,

Konrad

Thursday, May 19, 2016 4:17 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Konrad,

I'm old school, so I still use Windows Forms.

I'd say post the wiki articles with a pointer to the code on code.msdn.com

I'd think you could ask for review on the Windows Forms General forum if it's not forthcoming automatically.

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer.
    My Blog: Unlock PowerShell
    My Book: Windows PowerShell 2.0 Bible
    My E-mail: -join('6D73646E5F6B61726C406F75746C6F6F6B2E636F6D'-split'(?<=\G.{2})'|%{if($_){[char][int]"0x$_"}})

Thursday, May 19, 2016 8:28 PM
  • Hi Karl,

thank you for your reply. 

Juts a small clarification: I do not need a technical verification. I would like a formal verification e.g.
    - used language / style seems to be ok (I read some articles about how to contribute but that was a lot to read so I might have missed something.)
    - Should links be inserted anywhere?
    - Is it a topic that should belong in there? Or is it simply to trivial?

Your idea regarding code inside the code snippets and pointer between the two contributions sounds nice. It might be easier to write documentation inside the wiki and the code snippet takes ZIP files with the whole solution. That is quite nice!

I will not mark as answer right now in the hope that someone else also provides some feedback.

With kind regards,

Konrad

Friday, May 20, 2016 9:53 AM
  • It is a good idea to publish a Wiki article that describes in detail, and demonstrates the use of, a code sample in either the Script Gallery or elsewhere. The code sample is usually linked in the "Introduction", but also in an "Other Resources" section at the end of the Wiki. For example, I wrote this TechNet Wiki article about a PowerShell script in the TechNet Gallery:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/30522.powershell-script-to-search-active-directory.aspx

I included the tag "has Gallery download", recommended when we link a code sample in the TechNet or MSDN Gallery. This allows someone the find all articles with links to code samples in the TechNet or MSDN Gallery. There are quite a few such articles, as seen in this tag search url:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/tags/has+Gallery+download/default.aspx

And here are some blog posts about this very topic:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/wikininjas/2014/12/31/wiki-life-technet-wiki-msdntechnet-gallery-amazing/

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/wikininjas/2011/12/07/wiki-life-should-i-use-the-gallery-or-technet-wiki/

Richard Mueller - MVP Enterprise Mobility (Identity and Access)

Friday, May 20, 2016 11:35 AM
  • Hi Richard,

thank you for your reply. That was really helpful. I will go through the links in detail in the next hours.

With kind regards,

Konrad Neitzel

Friday, May 20, 2016 12:40 PM
  • Hi,

I just finished a wiki article and a code example covering a topic that I saw multiple times in the forums: How to keep an application with multiple forms alive when the first form is closed. I just finished it now and I hope that I did not formal things wrong.

The content was something easy and it might even be to trivial to be worth publishing. But it was meant as a first publishing act to see if I understood everything before I try something "bigger".

I am interested in some kind of formal review - did I do something wrong? Should I do something different? English is not my main language and inside the browser I had no type checking. That is something that I will do on my own next, too.

Two questions are now important in my eyes:

1) Linking - should I go and link the article? So there is a page about Windows Forms. Should an article like this be linked in there? (Ok, this is something really easy but on other articles - should I search actively for pages where it might fit? And should I directly edit the page? Or just add a comment first?

2) I had one problem when I wrote the article: After writing everything inside the browser I tried to save and got an error page and everything was lost. That was a little frustrating. How do you write/edit articles to avoid this? Or was this just something bad that should not happen?

With kind regards,

Konrad

Monday, May 23, 2016 2:18 PM
  • Congratulations! The article looks good to me. Good use of headings and code. I just added two tags, "en-US" for English language and "has Code" so people can find articles with code included. I especially like your References. That always helps.

Regarding (1), the best place to link this article would be a Portal. A Portal is a list of Wiki articles on a specified topic, like C# or Forms or PowerShell, etc. You can look for an appropriate Portal here:

Wiki: Portal of TechNet Wiki Portals

or you can link from another article if it is better suited.

Regarding (2), yes, we seem to sometimes get errors. Usually our work is not lost. Usually the page refreshes but is not saved, so I click "Save" again, sometimes up to a dozen times before the article actually saves. It seems to be rare that the work is lost. We are hoping for major upgrades to the Wiki platform in the near future to fix some of these problems. When creating a new Wiki, it might be best to enter the basic content, then save, then update with more content, like images or code, to prevent lose of work.

You might add a Table of Contents near the top of your article. It has the headings for this already, and is long enough to justify it. This Wiki article explains how in detail:

Wiki: How to Automatically Add a Table of Contents (TOC) to a TechNet Wiki Article

Essentially, you just add the tag [toc] at the place in the article where you want the Table of Contents, and it is created automatically for you from the headings.

Richard Mueller - MVP Enterprise Mobility (Identity and Access)

Monday, May 23, 2016 2:41 PM
  • Hi Richard,

thanks again for your help / input. Good to know that there are no obvious formal errors so I will continue on this path.

With kind regards,

Konrad

Monday, May 23, 2016 2:51 PM