Word freezes when trying to save new documents RRS feed

• Question

• I am using Office version 16.30 running on a MacBook Pro, 3.1 GHz with I7 processor using OS 15.1.  Was running OS 14.6 and upgraded owing to the following problem.

Every time I try to save a new Word document the rainbow wheel spins, and spins, and spins (I've waited up to 35 minutes for this!).  When I look at the Force Quit option, it indicates that the program is not responding.  I can open an existing file, I can save that after modifications, but if I try to save it with a new name the spinning wheel appears.  This happens with PowerPoint and Excel, but it does eventually allow me to save a new document.

I have update Office as well as my operating system to remedy this issue.  I have tried saving in Safe Mode and still have the issue. 

Any suggestions (or solutions!)?

Thank you in advance.

Thursday, October 31, 2019 11:00 PM

Answers

• Hi,

According to your descriptions, I would give some suggestions that I hope they could be helpful.

1. Check the hard disc name. Please make sure that your hard disc has a name without any special characters, such as periods, commas, semi-colons, quotation marks, and so on.

2. Save to a different location for a test. If you are saving a file in your Documents folder, try to save the file to the desktop, OneDrive or to a different location to see if it still has problem.

3. Empty the AutoRecovery folder. Make sure that you have quit all Office applications:

• Paste defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles YES in Terminal (Finder > Applications > Utilities > Terminal), and then press return to show hidden files.
    • Hold the ‘Option/alt’ key, right click on the Finder icon in the dock and click Relaunch.
    • Go to ~/Library/Containers/com.microsoft.Word/Data/Library/Preferences/AutoRecovery/ to select all the files and copy them to a new desktop folder.
    • Paste defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles No in Terminal (Finder > Applications > Utilities > Terminal), and then press return to hide hidden files again.

4. Remove Word preferences. Make sure you have quit all Office applications, please open Finder, go to ~/Library/Preferences, locate the files com.microsoft.Word.plist and com.microsoft.Office.plist, move them to the Desktop (Word will rebuild them).

5. Create a new user account to check. Maybe you could refer to Add a user in: https://support.apple.com/en-sg/guide/mac-help/mtusr001/mac.

(Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.)

For more information, here is an article for troubleshooting Word for Mac.

If the steps above do not work, please troubleshoot Office for Mac issues by completely uninstalling and reinstall it on Mac

If you have any updates, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Emily 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Monday, November 4, 2019 1:09 PM

All replies

• Hi,

According to your descriptions, I would give some suggestions that I hope they could be helpful.

1. Check the hard disc name. Please make sure that your hard disc has a name without any special characters, such as periods, commas, semi-colons, quotation marks, and so on.

2. Save to a different location for a test. If you are saving a file in your Documents folder, try to save the file to the desktop, OneDrive or to a different location to see if it still has problem.

3. Empty the AutoRecovery folder. Make sure that you have quit all Office applications:

• Paste defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles YES in Terminal (Finder > Applications > Utilities > Terminal), and then press return to show hidden files.
    • Hold the ‘Option/alt’ key, right click on the Finder icon in the dock and click Relaunch.
    • Go to ~/Library/Containers/com.microsoft.Word/Data/Library/Preferences/AutoRecovery/ to select all the files and copy them to a new desktop folder.
    • Paste defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles No in Terminal (Finder > Applications > Utilities > Terminal), and then press return to hide hidden files again.

4. Remove Word preferences. Make sure you have quit all Office applications, please open Finder, go to ~/Library/Preferences, locate the files com.microsoft.Word.plist and com.microsoft.Office.plist, move them to the Desktop (Word will rebuild them).

5. Create a new user account to check. Maybe you could refer to Add a user in: https://support.apple.com/en-sg/guide/mac-help/mtusr001/mac.

(Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.)

For more information, here is an article for troubleshooting Word for Mac.

If the steps above do not work, please troubleshoot Office for Mac issues by completely uninstalling and reinstall it on Mac

If you have any updates, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Emily 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Monday, November 4, 2019 1:09 PM
  • Hi, 

I am checking the status of this issue. Do you have any update for it?

If my reply is helpful to this question, please remember to mark it as answer. Your action would be helpful to other users who encounter the same issue and read this thread. Thanks for your understanding.

Anything unclear or any questions, feel free to post them back to let us know. I will be glad to follow up and help you.

Best Regards,

Emily 

Friday, November 8, 2019 1:37 AM
  • Thank you!

I believe the solution was #5 - create a new user account.  I had tried a fresh install of Office365, a fresh install of the OS, and booting off of an external drive.  All to no avail.  After creating a new user account it seems to have worked.  I haven't had the issue for a day now, so I'm calling it fixed!

Thank you!!

- John

Friday, November 8, 2019 3:04 AM