none
Restore DPM 2012 to new hardware after failure RRS feed

• Question

• I just want to confirm that the recovery procedure for DPM 2012 onto new or replacement hardware is the same as 2010:

• Build new Server with exact same name as previous server and install same OS (2008 r2 in my case)
      • Re-attach external storage containing replicas (in my case)
      • Install DPM 2012 (and updates)
      • Restore DPM 2012 database from backup to new server, and run dpmSync tool to resync database and restore it.

Are these steps online somewhere specifically for DPM 2012? I have done many searches and I only seem to find the DPM 2010, and DPM 2007 articles.

Thanks!

Thursday, September 27, 2012 5:05 PM

Answers

• Hi TheWakers1,

These steps are valid for DPM 2012.

Edit: For DPM 2012 updates Install the same patch version of the DPM binaries as DPM backup.

Stephane

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties. knowledge is valid only if it is shared by All.

• Marked as answer by TheWaker1 Thursday, September 27, 2012 7:11 PM
    • Edited by Stephane LADUNE Thursday, September 27, 2012 7:13 PM
    Thursday, September 27, 2012 7:10 PM

All replies

• Hi TheWakers1,

These steps are valid for DPM 2012.

Edit: For DPM 2012 updates Install the same patch version of the DPM binaries as DPM backup.

Stephane

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties. knowledge is valid only if it is shared by All.

• Marked as answer by TheWaker1 Thursday, September 27, 2012 7:11 PM
    • Edited by Stephane LADUNE Thursday, September 27, 2012 7:13 PM
    Thursday, September 27, 2012 7:10 PM
  • Hello,

The process is the same for 2012 as it is for 2010. The key points how ever are:
    a.) Make sure the OS is the same patch level as before.
    b.) Make sure the DPM server is the same patch level as before.
    c.) Make sure the DPM server has the same name as before. Often overlooked.
    d.) Make sure the storage pool is presented to the OS and is showing up in diskmanagement. Don't do anything with it in diskmanagement but just make sure the disks show up there.
    e.) Make sure you have the correct backup of the DPM database you are working with.

Regards, Shane. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, October 1, 2012 1:26 PM