Reject a draft document? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm running SharePoint 2007 MOSS SP2.  I have a document library with content approval, major and minor versioning and require check out turned on.  When a new document is submitted or if an existing document is modified the Approval Status is Draft.  I do not see a way to reject the draft only to 'Publish a Major Version'.  Am I missing something?
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 8:07 PM

Answers

• Lemmas,

Keep in mind that after publishing there still is an approval step which when accepted the item will be visible to everyone else.  Unless an item is approved after being published it will not be shown.

When Publishing a major version there is a warning that states "Your submission will not appear in public views until approved by someone with proper permissions. "

So I guess I must have misunderstood your question when I replied.  So to recap.

When an item is in a draft state, no one can see it except the owner + approvers, when an item is in a pending state the same rules apply except people who manage the list can now see the items as well, and finally when a document is approved the item will be visible to all users.

I think the reason this is done is because Drafts are still works in progress, and when the owner of a draft wishes to submit it for approval, the item must be published.  Only then should it be approved/rejected.  If rejected the owner will  have to re-edit the draft.

So therefore it wouldn't make too much sense to be able to reject a draft before the person is done with it.  However if you want to allow this behavior, You could have a workflow run on item created and item changed.  Then programatically assign a task whenever the workflow is invoked and depending on the response from the person the task was assigned to, programmatically change the status of the Approval.

Kevin
    • Proposed as answer by Kevin W. Lin Tuesday, October 6, 2009 6:04 PM
    • Marked as answer by lemmas46 Tuesday, October 6, 2009 9:36 PM
    Monday, October 5, 2009 9:22 PM

All replies

• Lemmas46.

Make sure you have the proper permissions to accept and reject.
    Kevin
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 8:10 PM
  • There is a Design Permission

Design - Can view, add, update, delete, approve, and customize

also a full control permission

Full Control - Has full control

and also a Contribute permission

Contribute - Can view, add, update, and delete

From what it looks like you probally have the Contribute permission whereas you need the Design or Full Control permission to see the approve option.

you can find these options under Site Settings > Permissions > Edit Permissions
    Kevin
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 8:13 PM
  • I am actually testing this by just using my own account which is site administrator.  If I create a new document in this library with content approval, and major/minor versioning the document is in draft state.  When I click on the document in the doc library I see an option to 'Publish a Major Version' but no option to reject it.  Once I have published it then I have an Approve/Reject item in the menu to approve or reject it. 

There's got to be an option to reject a draft without publishing it first, right?
    Monday, October 5, 2009 8:55 PM
  • Lemmas,

Keep in mind that after publishing there still is an approval step which when accepted the item will be visible to everyone else.  Unless an item is approved after being published it will not be shown.

When Publishing a major version there is a warning that states "Your submission will not appear in public views until approved by someone with proper permissions. "

So I guess I must have misunderstood your question when I replied.  So to recap.

When an item is in a draft state, no one can see it except the owner + approvers, when an item is in a pending state the same rules apply except people who manage the list can now see the items as well, and finally when a document is approved the item will be visible to all users.

I think the reason this is done is because Drafts are still works in progress, and when the owner of a draft wishes to submit it for approval, the item must be published.  Only then should it be approved/rejected.  If rejected the owner will  have to re-edit the draft.

So therefore it wouldn't make too much sense to be able to reject a draft before the person is done with it.  However if you want to allow this behavior, You could have a workflow run on item created and item changed.  Then programatically assign a task whenever the workflow is invoked and depending on the response from the person the task was assigned to, programmatically change the status of the Approval.

Kevin
    • Proposed as answer by Kevin W. Lin Tuesday, October 6, 2009 6:04 PM
    • Marked as answer by lemmas46 Tuesday, October 6, 2009 9:36 PM
    Monday, October 5, 2009 9:22 PM
  • So therefore it wouldn't make too much sense to be able to reject a draft before the person is done with it.  However if you want to allow this behavior, You could have a workflow run on item created and item changed.  Then programatically assign a task whenever the workflow is invoked and depending on the response from the person the task was assigned to, programmatically change the status of the Approval.

Kevin
    That actually makes a lot of sense.  I never thought about it in those terms.  I think I need to reevaluate our need for minor versions of our document library.  This could certainly make the workflow easier to create.

Thanks,
    Nick
    Tuesday, October 6, 2009 2:28 PM