Vista installation error: bootmgr is missing RRS feed

• Question

•  

I am trying to install Vista Ultimate x64 onto a new Sata hard drive, it is the only hard drive in the system.  During installation, no drives are found so I load the sata controller driver for the motherboard (Gigabyte MA790FX-DS5). Vista see's the drive at this point and I can select and install.  The initial portion of the installation runs fine until the first reboot then I get the bootmgr is missing press ctrl-alt-delete. 

I have tried just about everything on this to get this to boot.  I have adjusted BIOS settings to Native IDE, Legacy IDE, RAID, and AHCI.  I have tried plugging the drive into different controllers, tried different drives (all sata), set boot disk priority to the hard disk etc.  Nothing works.  If I go into recovery console from the Vista disk, the system sees no OS installed so no recovery options work.  I have also tried running dispart here and clean on the disk before the install with no luck.  When browsing for the driver on subsequent installations, I can see the hard drive and the windows setup files installed on the disk, so files were written to the drive, it just doesn't boot.  I have been trying everything i can think of on this and get no where.  I have also tried going back to x32 and get the same results.

I did have Vista x32 running on a different drive in this system but that installation was done on a different motherboard.  Since upgrading the motherboard, the system was unstable and I have been trying to reinstall ever since.

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 3:19 PM

Answers

• Hi,

As you said that “it is the only hard drive in the system” and “I did have Vista x32 running on a different drive in this system”, I would like to confirm if the new Sata hard drive is the only drive or there are two drives installed on your computer.

If two drives are installed on your computer, I suggest unplugging the other drive and only leaving the Sata hard drive on the system.

After that, please restore the BIOS settings to default and then reinstall Windows Vista.

Before the reinstallation, you can try Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor first to check the potential compatibility issues.

Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=42b5ac83-c24f-4863-a389-3ffc194924f8&DisplayLang=en

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Friday, May 23, 2008 5:47 AM