none
DPM 2010 is failing to backup windows 2003 virtual machine on Hyper-V host. Replica is inconsistent. RRS feed

• Question

• I am backing up a Windows 2003 Enterprise Edtn (SP2) virtual machine which sits on a Hyper-V cluster shared volume.  It is in a protection group with 9 other virtual machines (various operating systems from Windows 2003 to Windows 2008), and is the only server which gets this recurring error:

\Backup Using Child Partition Snapshot\<VGuest-servername>

The replica of Microsoft Hyper-V \Backup Using Child Partition Snapshot\<servername> on SCVMM <VGuest-servername> Resources.<Virtual Host CLU servername> is inconsistent with the protected data source. All protection activities for data source will fail until the replica is synchronized with consistency check. You can recover data from existing recovery points, but new recovery points cannot be created until the replica is consistent.

For SharePoint farm, recovery points will continue getting created with the databases that are consistent. To backup inconsistent databases, run a consistency check on the farm. (ID 3106)

DPM encountered a retryable VSS error. (ID 30112 Details: VssError:The writer experienced a transient error.  If the backup process is retried,
    the error may not reoccur.
     (0x800423F3))

Check the Application Event Log on <Virtual Host servername> for the cause of the failure. Fix the cause and retry the operation.
    For more information on this error, go to http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=132612.

Synchronize with consistency check.

To dismiss the alert, click below

I have seen a number of these posts on the forums, but cannot seem to resolve my issue.  The vm is running Citrix, but I don't know if that should cause any issues.  I have also checked the app logs on the Hyper-V node it refers to and see 5 VSS errors, but I think these are not relevant as they appear on the other nodes as well which the VM is not associated with.

However I do not see any errors in the vm event log.

Will post Hyper-V node errors is required....

Any help will be greatly appreciated,

Thanks

Chris

Monday, September 19, 2011 3:05 PM

Answers

• This has now been resolved.  I have discovered there was insufficient disk space on the C drive, which now cleared up, has resolved the problem.
    • Proposed as answer by ShaneB. _ Wednesday, September 21, 2011 12:37 PM
    • Marked as answer by chris624 Wednesday, September 21, 2011 3:43 PM
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 11:41 AM