locked
Edited virtual registry and when publish the App-v package last letter of reg value missing Appv 5 SP2 HF4 RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi 

    I manually added a reg key and some values via editing a package in the sequencer, when I came to publish, the reg values were missing the last letter of their 'Value Data' e.g. 'c:\program files (x86)\app\app.exe' would appear in the Registry as 'c:\program files (x86)\app\app.ex' 

    Has anyone else seen this happen?

    Tuesday, March 24, 2015 9:45 PM

Answers

  • Hello,

    I can't see that anyone has confirmed this for SP3 - as far as I know this is fixed in SP3.


    Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

    Sunday, March 29, 2015 6:19 PM
  • I did a small test and I didn't get the same behaviour in SP3. So I believe it is fixed.

    Will try with again with the original package I had a problem with.

    Monday, March 30, 2015 5:51 AM
  • I've seen this same behavior since SP2 beta. Workaround is indeed adding an extract space, very annoying. Since SP3 I'm unable to reproduce the issue, so I suppose it's fixed.

    Monday, March 30, 2015 7:59 AM

All replies

  • Huh!! Now that you mention it, I did have that problem before. It was just for one registry key though not all of them. I can confirm, you're not crazy

    PLEASE MARK ANY ANSWERS TO HELP OTHERS Blog: rorymon.com Twitter: @Rorymon

    Tuesday, March 24, 2015 11:29 PM
  • We put in a ticket for this to MS and was told it was fixed along time ago... I don't know when it was supposed to fixed, but well before SP3 (or so I thought).  Basically what we saw was randomly the last character in a very small % of registry keys would be truncated.  Nothing to do with length, or anything we could wrap our heads around.  I believe it was a problem with internal registry, if you extracted the .dat and loaded it you would see the same thing.  A workaround was to scriptomatically readd the key at publish/startve, etc.

    Can you install SP3 HF1 and try again?  If you still have it I'll try to dig up the case # and do my best to follow up with MS on our end.  It might have been a problem with the sequencer and not just the client, I don't remember which was the root cause.  If so, you'd obviously have to resequence in SP3, not just publish to an SP3 client.
    Wednesday, March 25, 2015 5:32 PM
  • As a workaround I had to add an extra character to any registry changes I made for that package post-sequencing.  What I ended up doing in the end was to capture all of those registry entries and import them during the sequencing process, post installation but still during sequencing.  This way I dont have to remember each package that I used this workaround on whenever this was fixed in the future.

    Thursday, March 26, 2015 6:44 PM
    Moderator
  • As a workaround I had to add an extra character to any registry changes I made for that package post-sequencing.  What I ended up doing in the end was to capture all of those registry entries and import them during the sequencing process, post installation but still during sequencing.  This way I dont have to remember each package that I used this workaround on whenever this was fixed in the future.

    Same here, very annoying. Should be fixed asap.
    Thursday, March 26, 2015 8:46 PM
  • Hello,

    I can't see that anyone has confirmed this for SP3 - as far as I know this is fixed in SP3.


    Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

    Sunday, March 29, 2015 6:19 PM
  • I did a small test and I didn't get the same behaviour in SP3. So I believe it is fixed.

    Will try with again with the original package I had a problem with.

    Monday, March 30, 2015 5:51 AM
  • I've seen this same behavior since SP2 beta. Workaround is indeed adding an extract space, very annoying. Since SP3 I'm unable to reproduce the issue, so I suppose it's fixed.

    Monday, March 30, 2015 7:59 AM