Parent collection not migrating - shouldn't it create a folder? RRS feed

• Question

• I had thought that if you had an empty parent collection, when migrating that collection it would create a folder in device collections. So I created a migration job for collections, selected the parent and child collection, I left transfer organizational structure selected.  However only the child collection was migrated, not the parent.

Message in the migration log was skipped because : EmptyIndependentCollection. 

These are both new collections in SCCM 2007 I'm just using to test the collection migration process.  I created the child, query based memberships of about 11 clients.  Then I created the parent with no memberships, and linked the child to the parent.  In SCCM I see the child both in and out of the parent, as will happen to a linked collection.

Do I need to delete the non-child collection?  I understand it is the same collection ID.

Or is there something else I'm not following about migrating collections and creating folders?  Seemed pretty simple and the child collection does migrate. Documentation I'm seeing just says click here and there and it works.

Tuesday, March 1, 2016 8:09 PM

All replies

• Linked collections aren't actually considered to my knowledge as there would be no way to represent that in 2012+. Why are you creating the link in the first place though?

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

Tuesday, March 1, 2016 9:52 PM
  • Dear Sir,

You can take a look at below document.  - Planning for collection migration:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg712285.aspx

Also it mentions supported and unsupported collections.

Best regards

Frank

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, March 2, 2016 5:43 AM
  • Linked collections aren't actually considered to my knowledge as there would be no way to represent that in 2012+. Why are you creating the link in the first place though?

Really?

It specifically says in the migration documentation (in the link from Frank Dong below):

"When you migrate collections that are linked to other collections or that have subcollections, Configuration Manager creates a folder under the User Collections or Device Collection node in addition to the linked collections and subcollections."

That seems pretty clear.

As for why am I creating the link the first place, so that I can move them into folders during migration.  Plus we already have linked collections. 

Wednesday, March 2, 2016 12:24 PM
  • Sorry, I am incorrect.

So, are you sure that the linked collection has members in it?

Wednesday, March 2, 2016 2:00 PM
  • The linked collection had members, and it did get migrated but to the root of Device Collections. There was no folder created for the empty parent, and it was not migrated.

Did some more tests.

• Created a new subcollection below parent coll, that has members. 
    • Created another root collection in collections, then linked it to parent coll.  This collection also has members. 
    • Also, for the original root collection that was linked to parent coll, I deleted the root collections while leaving the subcollection.

I then ran another migration of parent coll.

Results:

• A folder was created with the name of parent coll
    • The new subcollection was in the folder.
    • The original root collection (now subcollection) was in the folder.
    • The new linked root collection was NOT in the folder.

So, it looks to me like a linked collection will not migrate to a folder, but a subcollection will.  When you select the parent to migrate, it automatically selects the children, and any links that reside in other locations.  You cannot unselect those other links.

So I guess when I create new links, I need to remove the root collections and just leave the subcollections.  Annoying but then the whole subcollection child collection thing was always annoying in SCCM 2007.

I hate that I can't tell the migration job where to put the collections, otherwise I'd dispense with the whole subcollection thing. Problem is our collection structure is a mess, not my doing, and I want to get things into folders in SCCM 2012.

Documentation is also a bit unclear, and I still may be missing something.

Wednesday, March 2, 2016 2:49 PM