External SATA HDD with USB enclosure, detected but NOT MOUNTED. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,
    My problem is quite simple to explain. I have an external HDD (100 Gb size) using an USB interface. When I connect it to my laptop (Sony Vaio CR) with W7, it is somehow detected by the system... it appears in the "Safely remove hardware" application, it does appear under disk drives in the Device Manager, but it is not mounted at all (and no, it does not appear in the disk management application...it's not a problem of missing drive letter assignment... :( )

When checked its properties under the Device Manager (the Hitachi model is perfectly recognised) it says there is no driver available, but under the Driver tab it shows Microsoft driver, and if I search for a new driver it says it is up to date.

An old ATA usb HDD is mounted correctly.

Any experience on that? Thanks in advance! :)
    Saturday, February 21, 2009 2:19 AM

Answers

•  

It comes up correctly in XP, correct?  Check to see what driver it is using there?  Is it the normal Microsoft driver or a one provided by a third party vendor?

Secondly, what kind of enclosure it the drive encased?  It is a OEM type of enclosure or a generic enclosure with a drive you manually installed?

Saturday, February 21, 2009 10:54 PM
  • Is it mounting properly yet? Have you found a solution?

Let us know.

-Nick
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 6:43 PM

All replies

•  

Try this.

This won’t get you a drive letter, but it could shed some light as to what is going on.

In Device Manger, select your Hitachi disk and go to properties.  On the Volumes tab (which will be initially blank) click the Populate button.  Once the information appears, click on the Properties button there.

Saturday, February 21, 2009 5:38 AM
  • Thanks for that hint. I'd tried that already and after a few seconds Windows reports an error saying it has not been able to find volume information. Information under that tab is populated correctly in W-XP. 

Under the General Tab Windows complains there is no driver but in the driver tab it shows a driver that says it's up to date.

Thanks anyway!
    Saturday, February 21, 2009 9:47 AM
  •  

It comes up correctly in XP, correct?  Check to see what driver it is using there?  Is it the normal Microsoft driver or a one provided by a third party vendor?

Secondly, what kind of enclosure it the drive encased?  It is a OEM type of enclosure or a generic enclosure with a drive you manually installed?

Saturday, February 21, 2009 10:54 PM
  • Is it mounting properly yet? Have you found a solution?

Let us know.

-Nick
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 6:43 PM
  • Hi I'm having a similar problem with a Samsung 120GB SATA HDD on a SATA to USB enclosure (chipset JM20336). It get recognized by Windows XP, but it don't show any volume on the Disk Administration or mount any drive. I had tried on the Device Manger by clicking "Populate" but it says it State: unreadable. This is a 120GB disk that I took from another working laptop. It have three partitions. One NTFS Windows XP boot, and two extended, one FAT32 and one NTFS. I really don't know why Windows do not set any Driver letter to this HDD.
    • Edited by Martin-E Wednesday, June 3, 2009 12:40 AM line break
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 12:39 AM
  • I found the root of the problem, I solve it, and I want to leave it here documented also.

The HDD had read/boot protection password on its firmware, and it was hard to notice since it didn't give a warning at all.

So, I removed the HDD password (had to find a IBM thinkpad that was used to set the password) and it start to get recognized.

Everything ok right now.

Regards.
    • Proposed as answer by Martin-E Tuesday, January 12, 2010 3:57 PM
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 3:56 PM
  • Hi Martien-E,  i had the same problem too, may i ask how did u solved that problem?\

can u give me the guide please....

what are the following steps of yours?

please...

How did you remove the HDD password?

Thank you so much...

Sunday, April 18, 2010 2:30 AM
  • I have the same problem with windows 7.  I have a old ATA HDD in a SABRENT enclosure.   If I put  a SATA HDD in the enclosure everthing works fine.  Leads me to believe that Windows is not finding the driver to read the ATA HDD.  Under Eject software it shows up as USB to ATA/ATAPI Bridge.

When I looked at it again I think the problem is operator head space and timing.    I neglected to connect both the power and ATA ribbon to the HDD

Monday, May 10, 2010 8:17 AM