none
Second authoritative domain and connector requriements

Question

• I have an exchange installation where they are merging a second company.  We want to leave company A domain in place and add company B as a second authoritative domain.  Existing A users will use the A domain and B users will use the B domain.  With a test domain, I went ahead and added a B authoritative domain, reset the mx record and created a test user.  In the test user exchange account, I added the B domain and made it the primary.  I then sent a number of test emails and checked results from OWA, Outlook and a mobile device.  Everything appears to be working correctly in both directions.

However, when I made these setup changes, I did not create additional send or receive connectors for the new B domain.  Even though everything looks to be working ok, I am wondering is we could have problems down the road with email systems that may detect that the SMTP connectors don't match (if this is even detectable) or that reverse DNS testing somehow doesn't match up. 

Should I have additional connectors for company B or is this not needed?  Is there anything else I missed in the setup that could be a problem later? Once we make the switch, there is no easy way back.

Monday, July 10, 2017 2:25 PM

Answers

• I have an exchange installation where they are merging a second company.  We want to leave company A domain in place and add company B as a second authoritative domain.  Existing A users will use the A domain and B users will use the B domain.  With a test domain, I went ahead and added a B authoritative domain, reset the mx record and created a test user.  In the test user exchange account, I added the B domain and made it the primary.  I then sent a number of test emails and checked results from OWA, Outlook and a mobile device.  Everything appears to be working correctly in both directions.

However, when I made these setup changes, I did not create additional send or receive connectors for the new B domain.  Even though everything looks to be working ok, I am wondering is we could have problems down the road with email systems that may detect that the SMTP connectors don't match (if this is even detectable) or that reverse DNS testing somehow doesn't match up. 

Should I have additional connectors for company B or is this not needed?  Is there anything else I missed in the setup that could be a problem later? Once we make the switch, there is no easy way back.

You don't need a second send conn for the additional domains, no.

There is no "source-based" check in the send connectors. You would only need an additional send connector based on *destination* domain for example...

• Marked as answer by jbect Tuesday, July 11, 2017 3:13 AM
    Monday, July 10, 2017 2:42 PM