Programmatically start a workflow which is created by Sharepoint Designer RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, everybody! I encountered a extremely terrible problem. I created a workflow named Approve3 in Sharepoint Designer. The workflow executes well in Sharepoint Server 2007. But now I want to start it programmatically and the code are as follows:

this.myWeb.AllowUnsafeUpdates = true;
            int itemId = Convert.ToInt32(Request.Params["itemId"]);
            this.myItem = this.myList.GetItemById(itemId);
            Guid WF_GUID = new Guid("642E456F-2C7C-49BD-9775-53AB4A0CE425");
            this.myAssoc = this.myList.WorkflowAssociations.GetAssociationByBaseID(WF_GUID);
            this.myAssoc.AssociationData = this.ddlDeaprtment.SelectedItem.Text;
            this.wfManager.StartWorkflow(this.myItem, this.myAssoc, myAssoc.AssociationData);

The WF_GUID is the baseId of Approve3. I got the baseId in a Approve3.xoml.config.xml file. I write a initpage.  There's a dropdownlist on that page. I need users select an item as the initiate data(Here I assign the data to myAssoc.AssociationData). But I can't start the workflow. When the StartWorkflow() executes, the page give a error message:

Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object.

In the list pages of Sharepoint, I can see that the status of Approve3 is failed to start.But after a while, status turns to be completed! I think there's some wrong with myAssoc.AssociationData, so I search the CodeSample in ECM Starter Kit. In the ASPXCollectFeedback Project, I find they write the AssociationData in a XML format. The code are sth like this:

private string getInitXmlString()
        {
            InitData data = new InitData();
            data.Department = this.ddlDeaprtment.SelectedItem.Text;

using (MemoryStream stream = new MemoryStream())
            {
                XmlSerializer serializer = new XmlSerializer(typeof(InitData));
                serializer.Serialize(stream, data);
                stream.Position = 0;
                byte[] bytes = new byte[stream.Length];
                stream.Read(bytes, 0, bytes.Length);
                return Encoding.UTF8.GetString(bytes);
            }
        }

InitData is a class with get and set method. But it still doesn't work! When I start the workflow, I get the same error message. I also tried another workflow without initdata. It didn't work,either.

At last, I created an approve workflow using Sharepoint Workflow Template in Sharepoint Server 2007. Using the similar code:

this.wfManager.StartWorkflow(this.myItem, this.myAssoc, myAssoc.AssociationData);

The workflow starts well without showing any initiate page(There should be a initiate page which allows users to select the appovers. The name of the page is IniWrkflIP.aspx).

I have stuck to this problem for several days. Who can help me? Thanks.

P.S. Excuse me for me poor English.

Friday, April 13, 2007 2:31 AM