Problem with service auto-starting. RRS feed

• Question

• I've created a test environment for SoftGrid 4.5 on a VMware box.  The Application Virtualization Management Server service is set to automatic but will not start automatically.  If the service is manually start it will run with no problem.  In the event log there are three entries listed.  The first is Event ID 41494 "Failed to establish a connection to the datasource: (Server:servername\SQLEXPRESS, Database:APPVIRT)."  Second is Event ID 44901 "System dispatcher initialization error [-1]. System dispatcher startup will stop."  Last is Event ID 44952 "Successfully shut down Microsoft System Center Application Virtualization Management Server Version 4.5.0.1485 (1100)."  Is this being cause by using SQLexpress?
    Monday, December 29, 2008 4:08 PM

Answers

• I set the service to recover but still no luck.  I checked the event log and I don't see any entry that shows it trying to restart. 

Is there anyway to move databases without reinstalling SoftGrid?  Maybe if I created a test db on another server and point to it when I rebooted I wouldn't have this issue.  That is how it would be configured in production so if it works correctly I can move towards upgrading.

***Update
    I went ahead and reinstalled to change db servers.  This corrected the problem.
    • Proposed as answer by znack Tuesday, November 22, 2011 8:22 AM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Sunday, November 18, 2012 9:07 AM
    Wednesday, December 31, 2008 3:07 PM

All replies

• Rustin,

The app-v management server service will fail and shutdown as you documented whenever it cannot talk to the database at startup.  Since you can successfully manually start the service you have eliminated all of the permission like issues that might exist.  This problem is common when putting the database on the same VM in a virtual server environment.

First, I will point out that using SqlExpress is OK for a pilot, but you will want a "real" Sql database before you go to production.  Usually this is on another (virtual) machine which avoids this start-up timing issue, assuming the database never goes down.

You can play with services to reorder when things start (making SqlExpress earlier and App-V later), but even then you risk the issue as you cannot specifiy start this only after this otherone is done.  Best practice (even when the database is on another machine) is to modify the parameters of the app-v management server service to automatically restart upon failure.  Have it wait 60 seconds and restart.  This is done on the recovery tab of the service property sheet inside the windows services manager.  I consider this change to be a "best practice" for all deployments.

Tim
    Tuesday, December 30, 2008 5:23 PM
  • I set the service to recover but still no luck.  I checked the event log and I don't see any entry that shows it trying to restart. 

Is there anyway to move databases without reinstalling SoftGrid?  Maybe if I created a test db on another server and point to it when I rebooted I wouldn't have this issue.  That is how it would be configured in production so if it works correctly I can move towards upgrading.

***Update
    I went ahead and reinstalled to change db servers.  This corrected the problem.
    • Proposed as answer by znack Tuesday, November 22, 2011 8:22 AM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Sunday, November 18, 2012 9:07 AM
    Wednesday, December 31, 2008 3:07 PM