none
Timesheets - what determines what projects appear - Project Server 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all - We are introducing timesheet logging within Project Server 2010 into our department.  We are logging at the project level for most things.  I've been digging for answers to two questions I'm hoping you can help point me in the right direction on.

1) We default to project level time tracking.  However, each user has several specific line items in one project that we'd like to track at the task level.  (We are an IT shop and have all of our systems on maintenance as tasks inside a project.)  Is there a way to default those task lines to be added so they don't have to manually add them each week?

2) What determines which projects display in the timesheet by default?  For the most part I've been able to figure out how to add a project to a person's list (assigning them to a task within the project).  However, removing the project from their list (so that it doesn't come back next week) is a different story.

Thanks for your help

jb

Tuesday, August 28, 2012 2:48 PM

All replies

• jb,

#1 - This is a timesheet setting, Default Timesheet Creation Mode. If you change this to Current Task Assignments, you will see the individual tasks.

#2 - If you are assigned a task which has remaining work on it, it will continue to appear on your timesheet until remaining work is 0.

Treb Gatte @tgatte

Tuesday, August 28, 2012 6:58 PM
  • Treb - thanks for the reply.

In regards to #1 - I'd like 90% of projects to report time at the project level and 10% of projects at the task level.  Is there a way to override the default setting on a project-by-project basis?

For #2, I've removed the individual from the task and republished the project.  Is there something else I need to do to cancel their assignment?

Thanks again for your help

jb

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 12:21 PM
  • jb,

#1 Unfortunately not out of the box. For the 10%, they'll have to manually insert those tasks to update.

#2 - Is this the only assignment for that project?

Treb Gatte @tgatte

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 4:39 PM
  • Hi Treb -

Yes, it was the only place in the project that the individual had an assignment.  There is an assignment to a team she is part of, but since team assignments don't cause projects to appear on the timesheet I didn't think I needed to remove that.  She wouldn't have "volunteered" for the team assignment (b/c she doesn't know how).

thanks - Jason

jb

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 5:13 PM