Error window....String PRODUCT_NAME was not found in the string table RRS feed

• Question

• I recently upgraded from Vista 32 to Windows 7 64 bit and I used Laplink's PCmover to move my programs, everything was fine for two days then all of the sudden  I started getting a error window "String PRODUCT_NAME was not found in the string table"  just after boot up. I click OK and it goes away, how do I identify what program is causing this? There is no error code or other text in the window. Just an OK button. I don't remember having installed or reinstalled anything before it started to appear.

UPDATE: Found it, when PCmover migrated my programs into Windows 7 64 bit it tried , unsucessfully apparently, to move Sidebar from Vista 32. I deleted the startup command for Sidebar and the problem went away. Ran CCleaner to clean up the registry Problem Solved.
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 4:54 PM

Answers

• Hi Markinwf,

Thanks for your post.  This error message is a cause of some other applications that is installed earlier.  Please run the msconfig application to check with the startup events. 

Steps to open the msconfig application:

·         Click Startàtype msconfig.exe

·         Get into the Startup tab

·         Find the startup Items to match the item which shows this error window.

This will help you to find the application that shows this error window.

I tried helping you on this issue, even though this is not exactly for this forum.
    There are separate forums for Windows 7 Installation, Setup, and Deployment.

Please check with the PCmover installed in Windows 7.

I hope this will resolve this issue.  Please post back if you face some problems on this issue.

Thanks, M Anbu
    • Proposed as answer by M Anbu Friday, November 13, 2009 5:34 PM
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Tuesday, November 24, 2009 7:56 AM
    Friday, November 13, 2009 5:32 PM

All replies

• Hi Markinwf,

Thanks for your post.  This error message is a cause of some other applications that is installed earlier.  Please run the msconfig application to check with the startup events. 

Steps to open the msconfig application:

·         Click Startàtype msconfig.exe

·         Get into the Startup tab

·         Find the startup Items to match the item which shows this error window.

This will help you to find the application that shows this error window.

I tried helping you on this issue, even though this is not exactly for this forum.
    There are separate forums for Windows 7 Installation, Setup, and Deployment.

Please check with the PCmover installed in Windows 7.

I hope this will resolve this issue.  Please post back if you face some problems on this issue.

Thanks, M Anbu
    • Proposed as answer by M Anbu Friday, November 13, 2009 5:34 PM
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Tuesday, November 24, 2009 7:56 AM
    Friday, November 13, 2009 5:32 PM
  • I too have been getting the message    String PRODUCT_NAME was not found in string table --- when I was running Vista and still with System 7 (I had hoped it would go away with the new System 7 but it didn't).

I did opne configsys.exe and can see all of the startup items.  How would I know which one is causing the problem?  The String PRODUCT_NAME was not found in string table error message gives no more info.
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 12:07 AM
  • Hi,

This error message is a cause of some missing dependencies.  If the installation of an application is clean, you can avoid these error messages. 

Please check with the name of the error window to find the application which produces the error.  This error message is from an install shield of an application.  You can use the ‘Windows sysinternal tools’ to find the root cause of the error message.

I hope, I have answered the query.  In case of any queries please post back.

Thanks, M Anbu
    • Proposed as answer by M Anbu Monday, November 23, 2009 3:52 PM
    Monday, November 23, 2009 3:52 PM