First experience with Vista x64 Business - and it wasn't very nice... I need help... RRS feed

• Question

• I have a dual boot system (Windows XP Pro and Windows XP Pro x64).

The x64 is the OEM version of the product.

I recently received my OME version of Vista x64 Business and label says x64 software only.

I am running on a ASUS M2N32-SLI Delux motherboard with an AMD Athlon x64 x2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ configured for 2.1GHz, 4.00GB.

Attempted to install Windows Vista product by booting from drive (going to perform a clean install).  Upgrade was locked out, and the only option was the "Custom".  It asked for the partition where it was to boot, and I responded accordingly.

Everything appeard to work without issue.  It was in the final stages of install when it attempted a re-boot of the system.  At that point things went horrably wrong.  As the system was restarting (install disk still in drive), system got the blue screen of death.

Something about video drivers was all I could catch before it went on and attempted another reboot.  The reboot was happening so fast, I couldn't stop it to go into any mode but vista.  Fortunately, my BIOS has an "escape" feature that allows me to select boot location.  The only option I had was to boot from DVD drive again.  But - once again, Blue Screen of Death.  Everything happening so fast, I couldn't identify the error code or other critical need-to-know information until finally it allowed me to boot into a "selection screen".

After repeated attempts to "repair" or "reinstall" the product, with the same results each time, I finally had to resort to reinstalling my Pro x64 version, and contacting this forum.

Please help - Let me know what I may do.

Thank you in advance.

Saturday, May 26, 2007 7:36 PM