AppV 5: management console - cannot connect RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to setup app-v for the first time, and when I try to connect to the app-v management console in a browser http://<ip>:83/console.html I get a login and then I get this error: Endpoint not found. Please see the service help page for constructing valid requests to the service. This is when I try to connect from the same server that that app-v server is installed on. 

I have tried to make sure those ports 82,83 are open in the firewall as I use the default install ports for the App-v server.

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 6:28 PM

Answers

• What else is on that server?
    • Have you followed the setup guide to the letter? (e.g. done all config steps, installed all prereqs etc.)
    • Is there anything in the event log?

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com | The Definitive Guide to Delivering Microsoft Office with App-V

• Marked as answer by WildHare Wednesday, March 13, 2013 7:58 PM
    Wednesday, March 13, 2013 6:49 PM
  • SQL Server and the Management Server are both requirements.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com | The Definitive Guide to Delivering Microsoft Office with App-V

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 7:22 PM
  • Yes. Most PoC/demo/lab setups might use a single server. Not really recommended for production however.

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 7:42 PM
  • I don't think SQL Express is supported.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj713426.aspx

• Marked as answer by WildHare Wednesday, March 13, 2013 9:40 PM
    Wednesday, March 13, 2013 8:15 PM
  • Have you then granted the account access to the database?

• Marked as answer by WildHare Friday, April 5, 2013 3:06 PM
    Friday, March 29, 2013 11:05 PM
  • OK, it might sound a little hard but I'd recommend to revert the machine and start a clean, single box installation from scratch. As stated above you can have everything on the same machine, the machine must not be Domain Controller, SQL Express is not supported.

Prepare the machine with the prerequisites: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj713458.aspx. The installer potentially would complain if some are missing (but it doesn't complain about missing Silverlight and KB2533623)

Make sure that you don't have the firewall enabled on the test box or allow SQL and IIS to communicate through it.

Make sure you don't go through a proxy when you connect to IIS/Default web page on that machine, also make sure that IE considers that machine as 'intranet' 

Having the server's machine account added to the SQL server is not enough. That account needs basically 'full' access rights on the Database which is created by App-V's setup wizard.

I remember that I yesterday came across a nice click-through installation description, I think it was linked here in the forum, but I can't find it right now (Thank you, <my current customer> for blocking evernote :-\  ) Does anybody remember that?

Falko

Twitter @kirk_tn   |  Blog kirxblog   |  Web kirx.org

Thursday, April 4, 2013 7:24 AM
  • perhaps an interim step would be to remove the computer (appv server) from the domain since the SQL server and the Appv server are on the same box. Then (hopefully) I can create a user HVTEST2$ on the local box.

-Dave

• Edited by WildHare Thursday, April 4, 2013 2:24 PM
    Thursday, April 4, 2013 2:17 PM
  • If your computer was successfully added to/joined with a domain, the AD 'knows' that <name>$ account.

To validate that you can try the following

- in the AD, make sure the computer account exists (that's easy: just 'search' for it; remember to enable the 'computers' object type

- On any machine, try to modify the NTFS permissions for like a file or folder, add a new account; again ensure you select the 'computer' type of objects, that enter test\hvtest2$ in the object name box, then validate/verify

You need Domain membership for almost everything in App-V; this is a requirement.

Falko

Thursday, April 4, 2013 3:26 PM
  • Hi Falko,

Thanks for clarifying.

When you say "remember to enable the 'computers' object type" not sure where this is? unless this was part of the sharing in which case I found and added computer to the object type for the share of folder "temp2" for testing.

I see the computer HVTEST2 on the DC..

I was also able to share a folder "temp2" on the computer  HVTEST2 using test\HVTEST2$

• Edited by WildHare Thursday, April 4, 2013 4:39 PM
    Thursday, April 4, 2013 4:39 PM
  • I uninstalled and reinstalled Appv server, this is like the 5th or 6th time. But this time I installed it from TeamView instead of RDP connection, so to the system it appeared to be as a local install.

Now the management console http://localhost:81/console.html connects without issue!!! 

I am not sure if this was the real fix, or just something else I messed with earlier fixed it and Appv server just needed to be reinstalled.

• Edited by WildHare Thursday, April 4, 2013 5:32 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Thursday, April 4, 2013 6:47 PM
    Thursday, April 4, 2013 5:31 PM

All replies

• I am trying to setup app-v for the first time, and when I try to connect to the app-v management console in a browser http://<ip>:83/console.html I get a login and then I get this error: Endpoint not found. Please see the service help page for constructing valid requests to the service.

I have tried to make sure those ports 82,83 are open in the firewall as I use the default install ports for the App-v server.

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 6:05 PM
    • What else is on that server?
    • Have you followed the setup guide to the letter? (e.g. done all config steps, installed all prereqs etc.)
    • Is there anything in the event log?

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 6:49 PM
  • Aaron,

I believe I have meet or installed the prereqs, but I will go through once again.

One area of question I have is I have not installed SQL server database as I would prefer to not have to have this overhead, perhaps this is a mandatory requirement?

I have only installed the publishing server. Not the management server or the reporting server as I cannot without a database setup?

thx,

Dave

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 7:09 PM
  • SQL Server and the Management Server are both requirements.

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 7:22 PM
  • Thanks I will start that process. Can it be the same server for simplicity?
    Wednesday, March 13, 2013 7:39 PM
  • Yes. Most PoC/demo/lab setups might use a single server. Not really recommended for production however.

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 7:42 PM
  • Aaron,

one more thing, can I use microsoft SQL 2012 express? 

Thx

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 7:45 PM
  • I don't think SQL Express is supported.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj713426.aspx

• Marked as answer by WildHare Wednesday, March 13, 2013 9:40 PM
    Wednesday, March 13, 2013 8:15 PM
  • I have install SQL server 2012 one same machine as the Appv Server, I can now get a connection to the app-v management console.

However I get this error: Login Failed for user 'TEST\HVTEST2$'

Friday, March 15, 2013 6:27 PM
  • Grant TEST\HVTEST2$ access to the database.

Friday, March 15, 2013 6:29 PM
  • Hi Aaron, thanks again.... can you point me in the right direction to grant access for TEST\HVTEST2 to the database?

Thanks,

Dave

• Edited by WildHare Monday, March 18, 2013 3:29 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Yagudin Bulat Thursday, August 6, 2015 11:59 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Yagudin Bulat Thursday, August 6, 2015 11:59 AM
    Friday, March 15, 2013 6:46 PM
  • Here is the entry from the sql server log, if this helps

Friday, March 15, 2013 6:53 PM
  • I still get the error 'Login Failed for user test\HVTEST2$' see above, when I try to connect to the app-v console (http://localhost:81/console.html) I have tried adding that user to the domain and for the database, I have also re-installed SQL server and APP-v server.. seem like I am missing something?
    • Edited by WildHare Friday, March 22, 2013 3:34 PM
    Friday, March 22, 2013 3:33 PM
  • you can't add a user with $ that is the same as the machine name on the domain controller

Ie: if HVTEST2 is a computer on the domain you can't add user HVTEST2$ on the domain controller

So how do I add user test\HVTEST2$ to the domain, the user that app-v is trying to connect with?

Friday, March 29, 2013 7:04 PM
  • When adding an account to SQL Server using Windows Authn, there's a browse button, use that to choose the machine account from AD.

Friday, March 29, 2013 8:50 PM
  • 

I browsed and added the test\HVTEST2$ and HVTEST2$ in SQL server

but I still get this error

Friday, March 29, 2013 10:52 PM
  • Have you then granted the account access to the database?

Friday, March 29, 2013 11:05 PM
  • Hi Aaron,

I believe so see image below.

One thing that is very confusing to me is that you can't create a user on the domain controller that has $ at the end if that same named computer is a member of the domain. (microsoft say that a computer has special cases on the domain and that it cannot have the $.

Here is some info from: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/266633

Restricted Computer or Trust Relationship Names

Internet$
    Computer names and trust relationships are special cases. The versions of Windows that are listed in the "Applies to" section of this article automatically append a dollar sign ($) to the end of these accounts. Therefore, you cannot create a computer account or trust relationship that has the name "Internet." If you need to set up a trust relationship, do not use "Internet" as a domain name.

If this is the case above how could the remoteApp\console ever connect to domain\computername$ or test\HVTEST2$ ?

• Edited by WildHare Thursday, April 4, 2013 4:41 PM
    Wednesday, April 3, 2013 8:37 PM
  • another question is when I connect to the management console it ask for two logins,

see images:

then

what logins are supposed to entered here. I get in with various credential I have on the system / domain controller. But what login is is supposed to be used here?

Since there is not way to add a new use to the Appv management console until after you have successfully connected?

• Edited by WildHare Wednesday, April 3, 2013 9:41 PM
    Wednesday, April 3, 2013 9:40 PM
  • OK, it might sound a little hard but I'd recommend to revert the machine and start a clean, single box installation from scratch. As stated above you can have everything on the same machine, the machine must not be Domain Controller, SQL Express is not supported.

Prepare the machine with the prerequisites: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj713458.aspx. The installer potentially would complain if some are missing (but it doesn't complain about missing Silverlight and KB2533623)

Make sure that you don't have the firewall enabled on the test box or allow SQL and IIS to communicate through it.

Make sure you don't go through a proxy when you connect to IIS/Default web page on that machine, also make sure that IE considers that machine as 'intranet' 

Having the server's machine account added to the SQL server is not enough. That account needs basically 'full' access rights on the Database which is created by App-V's setup wizard.

I remember that I yesterday came across a nice click-through installation description, I think it was linked here in the forum, but I can't find it right now (Thank you, <my current customer> for blocking evernote :-\  ) Does anybody remember that?

Falko

Thursday, April 4, 2013 7:24 AM
  • perhaps an interim step would be to remove the computer (appv server) from the domain since the SQL server and the Appv server are on the same box. Then (hopefully) I can create a user HVTEST2$ on the local box.

-Dave

• Edited by WildHare Thursday, April 4, 2013 2:24 PM
    Thursday, April 4, 2013 2:17 PM
  • If your computer was successfully added to/joined with a domain, the AD 'knows' that <name>$ account.

To validate that you can try the following

- in the AD, make sure the computer account exists (that's easy: just 'search' for it; remember to enable the 'computers' object type

- On any machine, try to modify the NTFS permissions for like a file or folder, add a new account; again ensure you select the 'computer' type of objects, that enter test\hvtest2$ in the object name box, then validate/verify

You need Domain membership for almost everything in App-V; this is a requirement.

Falko

Thursday, April 4, 2013 3:26 PM
  • Hi Falko,

Thanks for clarifying.

When you say "remember to enable the 'computers' object type" not sure where this is? unless this was part of the sharing in which case I found and added computer to the object type for the share of folder "temp2" for testing.

I see the computer HVTEST2 on the DC..

I was also able to share a folder "temp2" on the computer  HVTEST2 using test\HVTEST2$

• Edited by WildHare Thursday, April 4, 2013 4:39 PM
    Thursday, April 4, 2013 4:39 PM
  • I uninstalled and reinstalled Appv server, this is like the 5th or 6th time. But this time I installed it from TeamView instead of RDP connection, so to the system it appeared to be as a local install.

Now the management console http://localhost:81/console.html connects without issue!!! 

I am not sure if this was the real fix, or just something else I messed with earlier fixed it and Appv server just needed to be reinstalled.

• Edited by WildHare Thursday, April 4, 2013 5:32 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Thursday, April 4, 2013 6:47 PM
    Thursday, April 4, 2013 5:31 PM
  • For me it was fixed by Machine reboot .

Xahid

Thursday, January 22, 2015 4:10 AM
  • Hi Guys, I'm struggling too to get App-v 5.0 SP3 installed. I have a thread created,,, help-with-appv-installation Single-SQL Server 2012 R2 Windows 2012 R2 App-V Server with all prerequisites. AD Single Server I can successfully install the Management Server Role, and point it to a the AppVManagement DB in the Remote SQL. But when I wanted to install the Management Server DB and Publishing Role I'm getting an error which cannot connect to the SQL Server. I have tried all the combination database parameter such as only SQL Server Name and Default DB, Default Instance and Default DB, specifying the Instance Name and DB Name, with no joey. I'm able to access the Console of the App-v but dbo.RoleAssignment Error... I have the server domain\AppVServer$ added into the Login of the SQL Server and AppVManagement Database pinned to it with permission as db_accessadmin, db_ownder, default schema dbo... but that didn't help either. Any help please...? Thanks,
    Monday, October 26, 2015 7:42 AM