Remove role and delete folder RRS feed

• Question

• Dear,

A new server is to be setup and I thought it would be good to have WSUS installed to reduce bandwidth for downloads of updates and also be aware and in control of when client machines gets updated. I installed the role on a server with 500GB. After a month of running the server's hard drive was full because of WSUS content. I guess I made the wrong settings but still, if WSUS takes this amount of space after so short of time I do now want to have it and I would like to remove it all together. I had thought that it would take at least two years until the hard drive was full of updates. So, I want to remove all the updates and remove the WSUS role. I have uninstalled the role but the files are still there. Can I delete the folder or is there a proper way of removing WSUS and its updates?

The new server is installed with Server 2016 Standard.

Thanks,

Saturday, October 7, 2017 4:34 PM

Answers

• if you have removed the role, and rebooted the server, then you can safely delete the \WSUSContent

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

• Proposed as answer by Yan Li_ Monday, October 9, 2017 6:39 AM
    • Marked as answer by Nitman Monday, October 9, 2017 6:43 AM
    Sunday, October 8, 2017 1:09 AM

All replies

• if you have removed the role, and rebooted the server, then you can safely delete the \WSUSContent

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

• Proposed as answer by Yan Li_ Monday, October 9, 2017 6:39 AM
    • Marked as answer by Nitman Monday, October 9, 2017 6:43 AM
    Sunday, October 8, 2017 1:09 AM
  • Hello,

If you are using WID as database for WSUS, you may also remove this role( before you remove this role make sure only WSUS use this as database).

Regards,

Yan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 9, 2017 6:49 AM