Pin Shortcuts to Start Menu in Windows 10 1903 RRS feed

• Question

• Has anyone figured out how to pin shortcuts to the new Start Menu in 1903 using Powershell??
    Wednesday, June 12, 2019 3:06 PM

All replies

• Have you looked in the Gallery?  Have you searched for a solution.

help export-startlayout -online

You can also look at Group Policy for maintaining the start menu items.

\_(ツ)_/

Wednesday, June 12, 2019 3:16 PM
  • Not trying to export the layout, have a script that runs as a startup script that pins things to the start menu when a user logs in that works perfectly on 1809 and below, since they gave the start menu it's own process (StartMenuExperienceHost.exe) and separated it from the shell, this script doesn't work anymore
    Wednesday, June 12, 2019 3:33 PM
  • I know that.  Read the help and search for articles on how to use the XML exported.  Research how the GP  extensions for Windows 10 can help you.

Using a login script was never a good solution.  MS warned that it would not continue to work.

With modern Windows "hacks" will most often fail in future releases because MS is morphing W10 to a new structure as they move to full virtualization of the desktop.  Failure to follow MS rules will cause issues;  some issues will be breaking in very bad ways.

I strongly recommend that you spend time learning correct deployment and learning how to manage the desktop in modern Windows.  Using old XP and earlier methods will only create issues.

Also realize that the public folders would be the best place to deploy shortcuts to end users as they are always accessible and use classic shortcuts.

Be aware that the "Shell" will slowly disappear in favor of a modern design for managing the user experience.  The "Shell" is ancient technology and is also very hard to maintain.

\_(ツ)_/

Wednesday, June 12, 2019 3:40 PM
  • ok appreciate the information and suggestions, thank you
    Wednesday, June 12, 2019 3:57 PM
  • Here's how I've been doing it for years:

# import start menu
    # https://4sysops.com/archives/pin-apps-to-the-taskbar-in-windows-10-1607-with-group-policy/

# powershell export-startlayout -path startmenu.xml -verbose

import-startlayout -layoutpath startmenu1703.xml -mountpath c:\ -verbose

Wednesday, June 12, 2019 5:45 PM