Cannot copy a large file using explorer on a windows 2008R2 server to another windows 2008R2 server RRS feed

• Question

• If I map a drive to a windows 2008R2 server from another 2008R2 server over a VPN tunnel using Explorer that is over 10Mb in size the drive mapping gets disconnected and the copy fails after a few minutes.

I have ruled out permissions and anti virus software as the issue happens when i have full control over both the source and detsination and with or without anti virus being installed.

All local firewalls are off.

I can copy the same file to a windows 2003 server over the VPN and can use xcopy and robocopy to copy the same file. if I use Explorer.exe it fails.

Does anyone have an idea what maybe causing this?

Thanks

Alex

Thursday, November 29, 2012 11:42 AM

Answers

• I have found an article here where you disable the Receive Windows Auto tune feature,

http://www.technospot.net/blogs/mapped-drive-gets-disconnected-while-copying-large-files-in-vista/

If I use the command "netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel = disabled", Explorer then works and I can copy files successfully.

This is only a work around though and I have not had to do this before with any of my previous server builds.

• Marked as answer by ALEXMAC20 Thursday, November 29, 2012 11:45 AM
    Thursday, November 29, 2012 11:45 AM