System shutting down hourly RRS feed

• Question

• We are running the trial version of Windows 2008 R2 (to make sure that it will do all that we need before shelling out $1000).  The software was installed less than two weeks ago, but has started to tell us on boot-up that the product activation period has expired, and when selecting to enter the key later it tells us in the bottom right corner that the software is not genuine.  How it thought less than 14 days was 180 days I have no idea.  I also do not know if that has anything to do with the problem that we have started experiencing, but maybe someone here does...

The system has started shutting down hourly.  We restart the computer, but after an hour, whether someone is using it or not, it shuts down.  The event logs show that it was an intentional shutdown (Event ID 1074), but it was not initiated by us.  We can power the computer back on, and an hour later it will happen again.  The system did run flawlessly last week (other than a printer issue that we cannot seem to resolve), and no software or hardware has been added, so I can only assume that it is related to the above issue.  Can anyone help us to shed some light on this problem, and advise how to fix it?

Thank you in advance...  Rick

Rick
    Monday, April 5, 2010 7:47 PM

Answers

• Windows Server 2008 R2 needs to be activited or it will shutdown on a hourly basis.  You don't enter a product key you just activte from server manager. 

Once you have done this you will be informed that you have 180 days to use the software and it will stop shutting down every hour.

Monday, April 5, 2010 8:06 PM

All replies

• Windows Server 2008 R2 needs to be activited or it will shutdown on a hourly basis.  You don't enter a product key you just activte from server manager. 

Once you have done this you will be informed that you have 180 days to use the software and it will stop shutting down every hour.

Monday, April 5, 2010 8:06 PM
  • Thank you.  I thought that we would require the purchased software before activating (ie. I did not know that we could leave the key blank).  All is good in my little world now (other than that darn printer issue, that I cannot get a reply on).

Rick

Rick
    Monday, April 5, 2010 8:28 PM
  • Good to hear.  If everything is working please mark this as answered.  Never know when it might help someone else.
    Monday, April 5, 2010 9:09 PM
  • For further information, here is an article about Windows 2008 activation.

How to extend the Windows Server 2008 evaluation period

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948472

Tuesday, April 6, 2010 8:27 AM
  • Now that we appear to have everything working, we are moving ahead with purchasing the software.  The OEM version is (obviously) lower in price than a retail version.  Is there any reason to NOT purchase OEM versus retail?
    Rick
    Thursday, April 22, 2010 6:30 PM
  •   Serveral. The major one is that an OEM version is tied to the original hardware on which it is installed. You cannot move it to other hardware or into a virtual machine (which you may want to do later on). The virtual machine forums are full of problems with people trying to virtualize systems running OEM versions of software (both client and server OS versions). 

Bill
    Friday, April 23, 2010 2:49 AM
  • Thank you.  I forgot that OEM could not be moved to new hardware, and that it probably the most important concern for us.  If we want to upgrade our hardware, we must purchase new software.  Full retail version it is.  :-)
    Rick
    Friday, April 23, 2010 1:11 PM