System Tray Icons Missing and Move? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm using MDT to deploy Windows 7. After the deployment I notice that the LAN icon is missing from the System Tray. That and none of the tray icons work. I can hover over them, but when I click or right-click, nothing happens. The icons also move out of the way when I try to hover over them. They move to the point that the System Tray sometimes extends half-way across the Task Bar. Any idea what could be causing this? It would be nice to be able to adjust the volume from the SysTray again.

Thanks in advance

Jason

Friday, May 8, 2015 6:37 PM

Answers

• Hi N74JW,
    Have you noticed these centences in the link as you posted?

"When you first start a new computer, the operating system typically runs startup service initializations that may take from one to six hours to finish, depending on which applications are preloaded on the computer. Make sure that you give the operating system sufficient time to finish these startup service initializations before you shut down or restart the computer. This issue typically will not recur after the operating system has finished initializing all the background services before it is restarted. "

Considering this is a new built machine,there is a possibility that the startup service initializations have not been finished.We can wait for a moment to have a check.

We can try to check the Event Viewer for any related error information to troubleshoot this issue.
    Event Viewer\Windows Logs\Application,System

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 11, 2015 3:22 AM

All replies

• You may need to uninstall and reinstall network driver.

See also:

How to troubleshoot missing network connections icons in Windows Server 2003 and in Windows XP:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/825826

Note: It applies to Windows 7 as well.

S.Sengupta, Windows Experience MVP

Saturday, May 9, 2015 8:22 AM
  • Hi,

I tried the suggestion in this link and it worked: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/945011

It worked for my user profile, but the default, i.e. new users, still get a profile where the systray icons are missing and non-functional. How can I make those changes to the default profile? Interesting about the network driver. Initially, the task sequence that deployed the operating system came back with a missing network driver. I went to Dell's web-site, entered in the service tag and got what I thought was the correct driver (there were three to choose from). After installation I copied the driver into my MDT driver store and re-ran the deployment. It succeeded in installing the network driver this time, but gave me the current issue with the systray icons.

Thanks

Jason

• Edited by N74JW Saturday, May 9, 2015 1:41 PM Added link
    Saturday, May 9, 2015 1:41 PM
  • Hi N74JW,
    Have you noticed these centences in the link as you posted?

"When you first start a new computer, the operating system typically runs startup service initializations that may take from one to six hours to finish, depending on which applications are preloaded on the computer. Make sure that you give the operating system sufficient time to finish these startup service initializations before you shut down or restart the computer. This issue typically will not recur after the operating system has finished initializing all the background services before it is restarted. "

Considering this is a new built machine,there is a possibility that the startup service initializations have not been finished.We can wait for a moment to have a check.

We can try to check the Event Viewer for any related error information to troubleshoot this issue.
    Event Viewer\Windows Logs\Application,System

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 11, 2015 3:22 AM
  • The computer should be ready to use as soon as the user is logged on and the desktop loads. I realize that Windows does do some things behind the scenes, while the desktop loads, but it should be ready for the user. Having the sound icon in the TaskBar and being able to adjust the volume is essential for our use here. What should I look for in the Event Viewer?

Jason

Tuesday, May 12, 2015 12:40 PM
  • I isolated the driver from a "working" install of Windows 7 on another 9010. I then copied it into the MDT repository and set it so that is the only Intel NIC driver it will hand out. It worked in one test. Testing again to see if lightning strikes twice. Thanks

Jason

Tuesday, May 12, 2015 4:12 PM
  • Hi Jason,

Thanks for updating. I hope it will work this time.

Best regards

Wednesday, May 13, 2015 1:53 AM