none
New instance of PWA 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I expect to create a new instance of PWA 2010 on my server. I want this new instance completely independent from the first one: not the same SharePoint Content DB for ex.

What are the settings for that?

Thanks

Sunday, April 10, 2011 7:39 PM

Answers

• Hi,

To create a new instance with a totally different ContentDB behind it, the easiest way is to create a new web application which is associated with a new content db. Then through the Project Application in the Service Application settings, provision the new PWA instance into that web app.

Alternatively if you didn't want to create a new web application, you could create a new contentdb on your existing web application and put a quota on the existing contentdb equal to the number of site collections it is holding, this stops SharePoint creating the site collection in that contentdb and forces it to create the new instance site collection in the next available contentdb, in this case, the new one you added. Then provision the instance as normal.

You may also be able to do it via powershell, but I can't recall the syntax.

Hope this helps,

Alex Burton
    www.epmsource.com | Twitter
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    • Marked as answer by WLID1966 Sunday, April 10, 2011 9:07 PM
    Sunday, April 10, 2011 7:47 PM
  • Yep.

You would need to make sure you removed the PWA Instance via CA, this will remove the wiring and leave the databases behind. From that point on you should be fine to remove the 4 x Project DB's and then go into your contentdb and remove the /PWA site and any workspaces.

Alex Burton
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    • Marked as answer by WLID1966 Monday, April 11, 2011 8:05 AM
    Monday, April 11, 2011 2:13 AM
  • Hi,

If you choose to create a new web application, you can speciify a new contentdb.

However if you are using the existing web application create a new contentdb and make sure it's online. Check the other contentdb's on the web application, note how many site collections are in those contentdbs and then update the maximum number of site collections to equal that.  When you create the new pwa instance, SharePoint will assume the contentdb is at quota and create the new pwa site in the new contentdb. Once you are all set up, I would change the quota of your Project Server ContentDB to 2 (1 x PWA, 1 x Project Workspace site collection) and revert the quotas on the other contentdbs making sure new SharePoint site collections in the web app are created in the non project contentdb.

hope this helps :)

Alex Burton
    • Marked as answer by WLID1966 Monday, April 11, 2011 10:33 AM
    Monday, April 11, 2011 10:27 AM

All replies

• Hi,

To create a new instance with a totally different ContentDB behind it, the easiest way is to create a new web application which is associated with a new content db. Then through the Project Application in the Service Application settings, provision the new PWA instance into that web app.

Alternatively if you didn't want to create a new web application, you could create a new contentdb on your existing web application and put a quota on the existing contentdb equal to the number of site collections it is holding, this stops SharePoint creating the site collection in that contentdb and forces it to create the new instance site collection in the next available contentdb, in this case, the new one you added. Then provision the instance as normal.

You may also be able to do it via powershell, but I can't recall the syntax.

Hope this helps,

Alex Burton
    • Marked as answer by WLID1966 Sunday, April 10, 2011 9:07 PM
    Sunday, April 10, 2011 7:47 PM
  • Thanks a lot Alexander,

Is it possible to delete all the previous PWA instance : all the DBs, all the Project Sites...?

Thanks again

Sunday, April 10, 2011 9:10 PM
  • Yep.

You would need to make sure you removed the PWA Instance via CA, this will remove the wiring and leave the databases behind. From that point on you should be fine to remove the 4 x Project DB's and then go into your contentdb and remove the /PWA site and any workspaces.

Alex Burton
    • Marked as answer by WLID1966 Monday, April 11, 2011 8:05 AM
    Monday, April 11, 2011 2:13 AM
  • Alexander,

<<To create a new instance with a totally different ContentDB behind it, the easiest way is to create a new web application which is associated with a new content db.>>

I'll do that, but how I make sure that the new instance will use a new Content DB? In the Create Project Web App Site page, there is no option to specify a Content DB.

Thanks

Monday, April 11, 2011 9:16 AM
  • Hi,

If you choose to create a new web application, you can speciify a new contentdb.

However if you are using the existing web application create a new contentdb and make sure it's online. Check the other contentdb's on the web application, note how many site collections are in those contentdbs and then update the maximum number of site collections to equal that.  When you create the new pwa instance, SharePoint will assume the contentdb is at quota and create the new pwa site in the new contentdb. Once you are all set up, I would change the quota of your Project Server ContentDB to 2 (1 x PWA, 1 x Project Workspace site collection) and revert the quotas on the other contentdbs making sure new SharePoint site collections in the web app are created in the non project contentdb.

hope this helps :)

Alex Burton
    • Marked as answer by WLID1966 Monday, April 11, 2011 10:33 AM
    Monday, April 11, 2011 10:27 AM