Question regarding the "researcher" feature in word RRS feed

• Question

• Maybe someone here can answer this question.  I absolutely need to disable the researcher feature in word.  Does anyone know how?

I have tried to disable it from the user interface using the GPEDIT and disabling items in the user interface using the administrative template for Word.  However, I don't know the name of the researcher feature and am unable to find it in the wordcontrols spreadsheet. 

Is there a particular website that the researcher pane looks to initially when gathering information that I can block with a firewall or other service?

I have to use Word for work but I can't use it if it searches the internet at all, but I need to use it with a few add-ins that do access the internet..

Tuesday, July 21, 2020 5:01 AM

All replies

• Cross-posted at: Researcher Pane in Word

For cross-posting etiquette, please read: A Message to Forum Cross-Posters http://www.excelguru.ca/content.php?184

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

Tuesday, July 21, 2020 6:11 AM
  • Hi Rusby,

Unfortunately, this need cannot be met.

As far as I know, we can't disable the "researcher" feature, which seems to be a known problem.

The only workaround so far is the reply you received from your previous question, but, user can still access it from the search bar by typing in "researcher".

I suggest you submit this feedback in word and wait for Microsoft to make improvements in this regard.

Thank you for your understanding.

This “Word IT Pro Discussions” Forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A, please refer to this sticky post for more details.

Best regards

Itch Sun

"Office" forums will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A !
    We invite you to post new questions in the "Office" forums' new home on Microsoft Q&A !
    Tuesday, July 21, 2020 8:01 AM
  • Do you know if there is a URL that I can block that would cause the Researcher to just return blank information, or does it work in a different manner?
    Tuesday, July 21, 2020 1:40 PM
  • Try the following:

Press Alt+F11 to activate the Visual Basic Editor.

Press Ctrl+G to activate the Immediate window.

Type or copy/paste the following line:

Application.CommandBars("Research").Enabled = False

With the insertion point anywhere in that line, press Enter.

Press Alt+F4 to close the Visual Basic Editor.

Regards, Hans Vogelaar (https://www.eileenslounge.com)

Tuesday, July 21, 2020 2:17 PM
  • Hi Rusby,

Unfortunately, there is no such feature at this time.

I still recommend that you submit these feedback through the "😊" in the upper right corner of the word.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards

Itch Sun

"Office" forums will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A !
    We invite you to post new questions in the "Office" forums' new home on Microsoft Q&A !
    Wednesday, July 22, 2020 1:36 AM