none
transport rule evaluation for proxy email addresses

Question

• I would like to configure a transport rule within Exchange that would generate a DSN (or NDR) for an email 'alias' but allow email to be delivered to the primary SMTP address assigned to a distribution list.  Is this possible?   I've experimented with To: headers within the transport rule in an attempt to differentiate proxy smtp from the primary SMTP address but it seems to not be working.

The documentation regarding the Exchange categorizer and the role it plays in email delivery seems a bit nebulous.  

Assistance appreciated

• Edited by GP-Admin Wednesday, April 5, 2017 10:39 PM
    Wednesday, April 5, 2017 10:38 PM

Answers

• Thanks everyone.   I was able to work around this by creating another AD user account, mail-enabling it, assigning the old email alias to it,  and creating a transport rule to generate NDRs sent to the old email address.  Wishing the documentation noted an edge transport server as a prerequisite to the rule I quoted above.
    • Marked as answer by GP-Admin Friday, April 7, 2017 4:00 PM
    Friday, April 7, 2017 4:00 PM

All replies

• Why not just remove the proxy addresses you don't want mail delivered to?

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Thursday, April 6, 2017 6:07 AM
  • Hi ,

If you want to set NDR only for additional SMTP address or alias , then yes you can use transport rules for same.

please find below Tech net Article  for transport supported actions

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa998315(v=exchg.141).aspx

Thanks

Vbhadauria

Thursday, April 6, 2017 6:24 AM
  • Hi,

Agree with Ed, it cannot achieve the goal differentiate proxy smtp from the primary SMTP address via transport rule.

Thanks.

Regards,

Jason Chao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 6, 2017 7:06 AM
  • we need a custom DSN that would be generated when users send email to the old email address, telling them it's no longer available and to contact newemailaddress@company.com instead.  as strange as this sounds this was a mandate from management.
    Thursday, April 6, 2017 3:33 PM
  • that's what I was afraid of.   Thanks Jason.   It seems it should be possible using the 'recipient address includes any of these words' predicate, but it does not appear to work.  "Note that this condition or exception doesn't consider messages that are sent to proxy addresses of the recipient."

The recipient address includes

The recipient > address includes any of these words

RecipientAddressContainsWords

ExceptIfRecipientAddressContainsWords

Words

Messages that contain the specified words in the recipient's email address.

Note that this condition or exception doesn't consider messages that are sent to proxy addresses of the recipient. It only matches messages that are sent to the recipient's primary email address.

Exchange 2010 or later

Thursday, April 6, 2017 3:38 PM
  • You probably have to use an Edge Transport server for that kind of rule.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Friday, April 7, 2017 2:52 AM
  • Thanks everyone.   I was able to work around this by creating another AD user account, mail-enabling it, assigning the old email alias to it,  and creating a transport rule to generate NDRs sent to the old email address.  Wishing the documentation noted an edge transport server as a prerequisite to the rule I quoted above.
    • Marked as answer by GP-Admin Friday, April 7, 2017 4:00 PM
    Friday, April 7, 2017 4:00 PM