Cannot Access MMC, RegEdit, and CMD in Windows 7 RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have a laptop given to me by my school, but they've decided to lock a ton of stuff down (assumingly to keep us from screwing with anything major). This ton of stuff includes the CMD, which I use on a fairly regular basis. I tried re-enabling it through RegEdit, but I get the "Registry editing has been disabled by your administrator" error. I tried re-enabling registry editing through MMC by editing the Local Group Policy, but that snap-in can't be loaded, and MMC as a whole has been locked out from students. When I try to open it, I get the "You cannot open Microsoft Management Console in author mode because of current computer policies" error. Is there any way to re-enable MMC without Regedit or CMD so I can go through and re-enable RegEdit and CMD?
    • Edited by XY8924 Friday, April 26, 2013 12:48 PM
    • Changed type Nicholas Li Thursday, May 2, 2013 3:46 AM
    Friday, April 26, 2013 12:44 PM

All replies

• I don't think anyone is likely to try and help you defeat your school's security on their laptop.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ” How to ask a question that is fixable.

Friday, April 26, 2013 2:14 PM
  • I'm not trying to do anything against the rules with this, I just like to use the command line a lot. It's pretty important to me. And I use RegEdit to fix things from time to time, as well. This is the only computer I have, so I'd like to at least be able to use the CMD. The system is way too locked down, and the people running it don't know very well how to run it correctly. They even tried to lock us out of Task Manager.
    Friday, April 26, 2013 4:16 PM
  • Most you can do is let them know what you need, why you need it, and be as thorough as possible.  If they are truly school employee's then they would want to do everything they can to enable you to learn and prosper and not hold you back.....though you have to realize the potential security risks with what you might ask.  You'd have to weigh both sides for them so they can see your true intentions.

Be kind and Mark as Answer if I helped.

Friday, April 26, 2013 7:17 PM
  • I do not understand why your school have decided to lock you out of CMD as it's simply an interface. You cannot "screw with anything major" from CMD unless you have the underlying permissions and privileges to do so.

There are ways and means to bypass GPO and you could confuse the computer into not enforcing the restrictions that are enabled, however I do not think TechNet is the place you should be asking those questions. Failing that, you could always just explain to them that CMD is only an interface and allowing you to use it doesn't give you any super special abilities you wouldn't already have.

• Edited by Fearghal Monday, April 29, 2013 2:41 AM
    Sunday, April 28, 2013 11:59 PM
  • All u gotta do is copy cmd from system32 to like a flash. Then use a hex editor like Hxd to prevent it from seeing the restriction. Open up the file in Hxd, and search for the Unicode string Policies then change the P to whatever you want, and save the file. This will prevent cmd from knowing it's disabled and it will run.
    Sunday, March 2, 2014 7:35 PM
  • If the laptop is owned by the school and you only have permission to use it, you are not entitled to make any changes without the consent of your school's IT Administrator.

Carey Frisch

Sunday, March 2, 2014 8:31 PM