none
New distribution groups results in Undeliverable "recipients address not found in recipients email system" RRS feed

• Question

• For some reason, new distribution groups I have created result in Undeliverable with the following body, Other distribution groups created in the past work fine. I have tested this outside our organization using my gmail and it gets returned to my gmail account as well. Users that belong to the group are chosen obviously from the exchange provided users. I have tried using OWA, deleting autoentry, using the full address of the distribution group, I am truly at a loss. Any help is appreciated thanks in advance!  -Steve

Delivery has failed to these recipients or distribution lists:

test2@mydomain.com
    The recipient's e-mail address was not found in the recipient's e-mail system. Microsoft Exchange will not try to redeliver this message for you. Please check the e-mail address and try resending this message, or provide the following diagnostic text to your system administrator.

_____  

Sent by Microsoft Exchange Server 2007

Diagnostic information for administrators:

Generating server: akmail.mydomain.COM

test2@mydomain.com
    #550 5.1.1 RESOLVER.ADR.RecipNotFound; not found ##

Original message headers:

Received: from akmail.mydomain.COM ([::1]) by
     AKMAIL.mydomain.COM ([::1]) with mapi; Tue, 8 Jul 2014 12:43:48 -0400
    Content-Type: application/ms-tnef; name="winmail.dat"
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: binary
    To: "test2@mydomain.com" <test2@mydomain.com>
    Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2014 12:43:47 -0400
    Subject: test2
    Thread-Topic: test2
    Thread-Index: AQHPmsvJDOvU9vGSLkK1oPeNzIzatw==
    Message-ID: <6BD9387C0441394E8E0EB52B9DF58A4402815FE4E440@AKMAIL.mydomain.COM>
    Accept-Language: en-US
    Content-Language: en-US
    X-MS-Has-Attach:
    X-MS-TNEF-Correlator: <6BD9387C0441394E8E0EB52B9DF58A4402815FE4E440@AKMAIL.mydomain.COM>
    MIME-Version: 1.0
    Tuesday, July 8, 2014 5:43 PM

Answers

• This looks like AD replication issue. Can you force AD replication?

Before that, I had a few questions - how many sites do you have?

where was the DL created? across the WAN?

Exchange is not able to see this Distribution Group yet. Run Get-DistributionGroup from the server akmail.mydomain.com server and verify if this Distribution Group shows up.

• Marked as answer by Steve19K65 Friday, July 11, 2014 12:30 AM
    Tuesday, July 8, 2014 5:50 PM

All replies

• This looks like AD replication issue. Can you force AD replication?

Before that, I had a few questions - how many sites do you have?

where was the DL created? across the WAN?

Exchange is not able to see this Distribution Group yet. Run Get-DistributionGroup from the server akmail.mydomain.com server and verify if this Distribution Group shows up.

• Marked as answer by Steve19K65 Friday, July 11, 2014 12:30 AM
    Tuesday, July 8, 2014 5:50 PM
  • Hi,

In addition to Akshay's suggestion, I recommend you send an email to test2@mydomain.com directly and check the result.

Please take your time to post the result for my further research.

Best regards,

Amy Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, July 9, 2014 9:28 AM
  • Thank you very much for your response Akshay, here is the results from the Get-DistributionGroup:

Name                DisplayName         GroupType           P
    ----                -----------         ---------           -
    techsupport         techsupport         Universal           t
    info                info                Universal           i
    *CallOut            *CallOut            Universal           _
    AKwirelessorder     AKwirelessorder     Universal           A
    *AllEmployees       *AllEmployees       Universal, Secur... _
    casstb              casstb              Universal           c
    albanytsg           albanytsg           Universal           a
    ak911kyalarms       ak911kyalarms       Universal           a
    Polk                Polk                Universal           P
    Solatb              Solatb              Universal           S
    kytechs             kytechs             Universal           k
    AKDISTSolacom       AKDISTSolacom       Universal           A
    NEFla               NEFla               Universal           N
    RhodeIsland         RhodeIsland         Universal           R
    NewYork             NewYork             Universal           N
    bradsgroup          bradsgroup          Universal           b
    petesgroup          petesgroup          Universal           p
    mikesgroup          mikesgroup          Universal           m
    test2               test2               Universal, Secur... t

So it does list it, I have 2 domain controllers at the same site one is also hosting the exchange server (we are a small business). I created the distribution group directly on the exchange management console. I will force AD replication, but I have looked at the structure using ADSIedit and it does list it in the users section which is sort of why I am at a loss on this.  Thanks very much for your help, -Steve

Thursday, July 10, 2014 5:32 PM
  • Thanks very much for your response, I did as Akshay suggested, but I got a weird error replicating, although the rpc service is running. Which AD should be replicated from the AKDC1 or to the AKDC1? here is what the result was when I tried to replicate AKMAIL to AKDC1 but as I said to Akshay the test2 entry exists in the users when I did the ADSI edit on both DC's so I think the replication is being done:

I stand corrected in my reply to Akshay, for laughs & grins I opened up AD users & computers and those DL do not appear in the list. I also opened up ADSIedit and they did not appear there either I must have thought I was on that server in my response to him. So I guess I have a problem with my AD replication, I'll continue to hack away at it. Thanks very much for your help, I may just need to reboot the primary DC I'll do that now & keep everyone updated -Steve
    Thursday, July 10, 2014 6:22 PM
  • Thanks Akshay, I had added a new web server on a different network on a secondary NIC which I think was causing DNS issues. As soon as I disabled the network card everything synced back up so I guess I'll have to keep the two networks separate then. Thanks very much for pointing me in the right direction and you too Amy!  Kindest regards -Steve

• Edited by Steve19K65 Friday, July 11, 2014 12:34 AM
    Friday, July 11, 2014 12:33 AM
  • I know this is really old but I had the same issue and stumbled upon this post and figured I would post to help others out with checking their settings. I was able to send to a Distribution Group from internal email but not from external emails. I received mail delivery errors for recipient not found also.

1. You need to go to the Distribution Group in Exchange Manager. (unless you're a PowerShell junky)
    2. Right click and go to "Properties", then go to the "Mail Flow Settings" tab
    3. Select "Message Delivery Restrictions" then "Properties"
    4. Uncheck "Require that all senders are authenticated" and leave everything else default.

After this change I was able to send from an external account no problem.

Tuesday, January 23, 2018 9:33 PM
  • Monday, May 28, 2018 9:10 AM