Client updates vs Server Updates RRS feed

• Question

• Have SCCM installed on one box and WSUS on another looking for pro's and cons of client updates vs server updates on which should do which shoudl SCCM manage the server or client? should WSUS manages server or client updates and why this is or is there a good document. any help would be great... 
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 1:56 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I don't see any reason why you want to split the management of servers and workstations. You need the WSUS to manage both servers and clients. The WSUS server will become a SUP (Software Update Pooint) in the Config Mgr. environment. Once you have the SUP configured in WSUS, you will start to create different deployment templates (for servers and workstations), unique deployments for each template etc. When you are using the features in Config Mgr. you will have complete control of the entire software update cycle. You can also delegate the control of Update lists, so updates for servers can be managed by one group of admins and workstation updates by another group of admins.

Check - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb694244.aspx for more information on the subject.
    Kent Agerlund
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 3:15 PM
  • Here is how I will do it in Config Mgr.

1. Create a collection structure that reflects my software updates need eg.
      1. Root collection for my SUP name Software Updates Management
        1. SUM Servers
          1. SUM SRV Automatic installations
            1. SUM SRV AU MW1 (where MW is short for Maintenance Windows)
            2. SUM SRV AU MW2
          2. SUM SRV Manual installations
        2. SUM Workstations
          1. SUM REG test group 1
          2. SUM REG test group 2
          3. SUM REG production
    2. Create templates for each deployment scenario (eg. test update to workstations, manual installation to some servers etc.) In each template you define the collection, restart behavior and much more.
    3. When i need to distribute updates I add the updates to an Update list eg. REG 2009 02 February (this list contains all approved updates released in February )
    4. I drag the Update list to a template and the result will be a unique deployment.

With this setup, you will be able to control how updates are installed and when.

Kent Agerlund
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 5:51 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I don't see any reason why you want to split the management of servers and workstations. You need the WSUS to manage both servers and clients. The WSUS server will become a SUP (Software Update Pooint) in the Config Mgr. environment. Once you have the SUP configured in WSUS, you will start to create different deployment templates (for servers and workstations), unique deployments for each template etc. When you are using the features in Config Mgr. you will have complete control of the entire software update cycle. You can also delegate the control of Update lists, so updates for servers can be managed by one group of admins and workstation updates by another group of admins.

Check - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb694244.aspx for more information on the subject.
    Kent Agerlund
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 3:15 PM
  • so even if i have wsus and sccm installed on seperate servers and setup in SCCM different templates through the SCCM config? how would you describe what different templates sohuld be used....
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 5:26 PM
  • Here is how I will do it in Config Mgr.

1. Create a collection structure that reflects my software updates need eg.
      1. Root collection for my SUP name Software Updates Management
        1. SUM Servers
          1. SUM SRV Automatic installations
            1. SUM SRV AU MW1 (where MW is short for Maintenance Windows)
            2. SUM SRV AU MW2
          2. SUM SRV Manual installations
        2. SUM Workstations
          1. SUM REG test group 1
          2. SUM REG test group 2
          3. SUM REG production
    2. Create templates for each deployment scenario (eg. test update to workstations, manual installation to some servers etc.) In each template you define the collection, restart behavior and much more.
    3. When i need to distribute updates I add the updates to an Update list eg. REG 2009 02 February (this list contains all approved updates released in February )
    4. I drag the Update list to a template and the result will be a unique deployment.

With this setup, you will be able to control how updates are installed and when.

Kent Agerlund
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 5:51 PM