none
Windows 10 1803 & 1809 Slow SMB Navigation RRS feed

• Question

• I have asked this else where but was unable to get help, so I am asking here as well. 

I have started to deploy Windows 10 with the 1803 update version, I have a few users that have a specific folder that has around +100,000 files. They are mainly PDFs just around 1MB, some most are single pages. In Windows 10 it can take 5-8 second to open a PDF from that folder, while Windows 7 will open it in 1 second. This might not sound like a big deal, but I have users in an out of these a lot throughout the day.

- When trying to get the properties with the Space used, and File count Windows 10 is amazingly slow, it can take up to 5 minutes, while Win7 can finish in 5 seconds.

- Transferring these files to another server for testing had a considerable slowness on Server 2016 (8-14 MBps) verses Server 2008 R2  (70 MBps). They were running at the same time. 

- File Server is 2012 R2, I have confirmed SMBv2, the Search Process is not really being (over)used, I have confirmed the "General items" option is selected in Folder options, I even upgraded to Win10 1809 to see if that mattered. It did not. 

Before someone asks, no I am not changing the structure of the files to suit this oddity, it work fine in Windows 7, so there is no reason it should not in Window 10. 

Thanks for the help. 

Tuesday, December 18, 2018 4:39 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your question.

Slow performance can be cause by many factors.

Have you do the same test in all Windows 10?  Did all windows 10 has this slow performance?

Here are two similar case:

1. https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/8e468316-c70f-4270-8778-c30215b7d3f3/network-folders-slow-after-windows-10-1803-update?forum=win10itpronetworking

2. https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/420c2313-91b2-4384-8882-8b760904135a/slow-smb-send-receive-is-fine?forum=win10itpronetworking

Please feel free to let me know if you need any assistance.

Best Regards,

Eric

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, December 19, 2018 9:24 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful.

Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Eric

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 20, 2018 9:38 AM
  • Apologies, 

From what I can tell from the bit of testing I was able to do:  

- 1809 by itself does not fix the issues, but the Registry changes talked about in this other article does seems to work for me on one computer but I am working to test it out on more to confirm.  

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/8e468316-c70f-4270-8778-c30215b7d3f3/network-folders-slow-after-windows-10-1803-update?forum=win10itpronetworking 

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters

add 
    DirectoryCacheLifetime Dword=0
    FileInfoCacheLifetime Dword=0
    FileNotFoundCacheLifetime Dword=0

I am also battling another issue pulling up images (PDFs), and switching back in forth in an ERP system we have. I am assuming it is related to slow networking, but I will have to see. 
    Thanks for the information. 

Thursday, December 20, 2018 9:36 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your update.

I am glad to see the solutions in this link did some work to this issue.

If you have a new question, I suggest you post it as a new post.

Please feel free to let me know if you have any update. I will focus on this slow performance too, if I have any updates , I will post it here.

Best Regards,

Eric

Friday, December 21, 2018 6:27 AM