Bye Steady State RRS feed

• General discussion

• I am sorry, but unless the chunky load times are reduced we are ditching SS.  I understand why it is going slow, but this is a decesion made by my Mgr's.
    Tuesday, October 30, 2007 9:27 PM

All replies

• Hi Texkonc,

Just for your information, the new version, Windows SteadyState 2.5 beta will be released soon. It will fix the slow logon issue, and Vista support will also be added. Please feel free to try it if you have interest.

Regards,

Thursday, November 1, 2007 3:10 AM
  • Hi Shawn,

do you already know what is responsible for the slow logon? Is it an internal SteadyState error?

Thursday, November 1, 2007 8:19 AM
  • Hi Shawn

I have tried a workaround that reduced the logon time with 90 seconds.

I have set the "Windows SteadyState Service" to manual startup, then made a registry entry under  
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run] that starts the service.

Do you se a problem with this?

Thanks

Kristian

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 2:39 PM
  • Hi Kristian,

This service is responsible for many features of SteadyState. It's not recommended to make changes to it. For more information about this service, you can refer to the following thread:

Possible Workaround? for Slow Boot (Windows SteadyState Service hung)

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsToolsandUtilities/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2300751&SiteID=69

Best Regards,

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 4:53 AM
  • Hi Shawn

I am aware of the importance of the service and its responsibilities as you describe, thats why I am trying to find a workaround so I can have both decent logon time and the benefits the service provide.

My logon time (from power on) with the service set to Automatic startup is 3 min. 45 sec. with my workarround it is 2 min. 15 sec. but I am not sure which functions the service provide won´t work when the service is started after the user is logged on. Referring to your answer to Mirandra I assume number 6 and 7? The functions I need is number 1, 2, 3 and 4.

I have tried the possible solution you refer to, but the wscsvc service (Security Center service) is a dynamic service which only starts when needed, that means the SteadyState service doesn`t start, well - not on the machines I tested.

I also tried the suggested solution with cleanboot, but as far as I can see, this set the SteadyState service to Disable.

Restrictions are configured  through Group Policy.

The short question is, do you think functions 1, 2, 3 and 4 will work using my workarround? I know you cant garantie but I would like your opinion.

Thanks,

Kristian

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 2:09 PM
  • Hi Kristian,

Although everything works in my test, please understand that this method is not recommended. You can keep the current status and continue monitoring it. If problem is encountered, please post here for further discussion.

Regards,

Thursday, November 15, 2007 2:43 AM