missing .exe association RRS feed

• Question

• I've recently had a problem in which whenever I try to open an exe that it tells me to choose a program to open it with. When i go into my default programs panel and goto set associations there is no .exe extention. Is there a way to fix this?
    Wednesday, April 13, 2011 2:29 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I suggest perform system restore to a previous time when you remember you were able to run exe files.

In case it is due corrupt registry, I suggest create new user account and check it out.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 7:39 AM

All replies

• I've recently had a problem in which whenever I try to open an exe that it tells me to choose a program to open it with. When i go into my default programs panel and goto set associations there is no .exe extention. Is there a way to fix this?

Give this tutorial a try : to restore exe files associations
    http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/restore-exe-file-asso-windows-7-vista-incorrectly-associated/

Excerpt : You need to delete the UserChoice key above using a REG file or a script. Download exefix_cu.reg, and save it to Desktop. Right-click on the REG file and choose Merge.
    If it solves your problem, I did it. If it does not, my twin brother did it.
    Wednesday, April 13, 2011 3:58 PM
  • I downloaded the fix and tried to open it but it says registry editing has been disabled by administrator. Where do i go to turn registry editing back on? Everything that uses exe to open won't open, including command prompt.
    Wednesday, April 13, 2011 8:07 PM
  • I downloaded the fix and tried to open it but it says registry editing has been disabled by administrator. Where do i go to turn registry editing back on?

Please run a full virus scan with your anti-virus program.

If you need extra help to do this, use this Malwarebytes. It is real good.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/..... pick the “ free version “

Open Malwarebytes > Update tab > get updates >
    Scanner tab > select Perform full scan option > Start >Will take some time. Wait. >
    When done, a message box will appear > OK to close message box > Maleware removal will continue >Back in Scanner window > select Show Results button >
    Click “ Remove Selected “ button
    It may ask for computer to reboot in order to remove some of
    the viruses, if so, allow it.
    After reboot, log in and continue with the rest of the
    steps.
    When removal done, a scan log will be displayed in Notepad.
    Exit the program when you are done.

If it solves your problem, I did it. If it does not, my twin brother
    Wednesday, April 13, 2011 8:17 PM
  • I can't run malwarebytes because it opens with an exe which i can't run. though i recently ran Eset and hitman pro to get rid of a virus, problem is afterward nothing else worked.
    Wednesday, April 13, 2011 8:18 PM
  • I can't run malwarebytes because it opens with an exe which i can't run. though i recently ran Eset and hitman pro to get rid of a virus, problem is afterward nothing else worked.

I am sorry, this is a little out of my range.

Please wait for an expert of help you.

Good luck.
    If it solves your problem, I did it. If it does not, my twin brother did it.
    Wednesday, April 13, 2011 8:29 PM
  • ok, thanks for trying. If anyone else who sees this knows what i should do please for the love of all things holy respond.
    Wednesday, April 13, 2011 8:30 PM
  • Hi,

I suggest perform system restore to a previous time when you remember you were able to run exe files.

In case it is due corrupt registry, I suggest create new user account and check it out.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 7:39 AM