Computer freezes after idle for 10-15 minutes RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

My computer is running windows 7. After it's left idle for 10-15 minutes and I come back it will let me move the mouse, highlight taskbar icons, and click start menu. It will not however load any thing up if I click on it. Once I click something it will then freeze and even the mouse pointer will not move. I have used the windows memory tool and it reported no problems with my memory. I have started it in Safe Mode which will not freeze evenif left idle over night. I have started it with a Clean Boot, but it will still freeze if left idle even from the clean boot. I can not figure out what is wrong. Also if I put the computer into hibernate (regardless of clean boot or not) and bring it back out it functions as normal. 

Sunday, July 27, 2014 1:46 PM

Answers

• I reinstalled the OS and made sure to wipe the partition first. So far it seems to be back to normal operation. I really appreciate all the help you gave me. Thank you.
    • Marked as answer by ZigZag3143x Wednesday, July 30, 2014 1:13 AM
    Wednesday, July 30, 2014 12:39 AM

All replies

• In order to diagnose your problem you will need to download and install the below

Install the WPT (Windows Performance Toolkit) 
    Help with installation (if needed) is here

When you have, open an elevated command prompt and type the following 
    WPRUI.exe (which is the windows performance recorder) and check off the boxes for the following:

First level triage (if available), CPU usage, Disk IO.  

If your problem is not CPU or HD then check off the relevant box/s as well (for example networking or registry)  Please configure yours as per the below snip

Click Start

Let it run for 60 secs or more and save the file (it will show you where it is being saved and what the file is called)

Zip the file and upload to us on Onedrive (or any file sharing service) and give us a link to it in your next post.

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag

Sunday, July 27, 2014 1:50 PM
  • Here is the link to the requested file.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=FB53D1E9A32649B1!107&authkey=!AKSS_8_n9Iw5Cgk&ithint=file%2czip

Sunday, July 27, 2014 6:47 PM
  • Cody

There was nothing definitive in the trace.  Tracing may not show it.  Can up upload your event viewer logs

Please provide us with your Event Viewer administrative logs by following these steps:

Click Start Menu
    Type eventvwr into Search programs and files (do not hit enter)
    Right click eventvwr.exe and click Run as administrator
    Expand Custom Views
    Click Administrative Events
    Right click Administrative Events
    Save all Events in Custom View As...
    Save them in a folder where you will remember which folder and save as Errors.evtx
    Go to where you saved Errors.evtx
    Right click Errors.evtx -> send to -> compressed (zipped) folder
    Upload the .zip file to Onedrive or a file sharing service and put a link to it in your next post
    If you have updated to win 8.1 and you get the error message "the system cannot find the file specified" it is a known problem.  The work around is to edit the registry.  If you are not comfortable doing this DONT.  If you are, backup the key before you do
    Press Win+"R" and input regedit

Navigate to:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WINEVT\Channels. Delete "Microsoft-Windows-DxpTaskRingtone/Analytic"

Monday, July 28, 2014 12:52 PM
  • I do not have windows 8. I have windows 7.

Event Viewer log

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=FB53D1E9A32649B1!108&authkey=!ADjssVSWsjRo_z0&ithint=file%2czip

Tuesday, July 29, 2014 1:00 AM
  • Cody

Still nothing definitive but  I do have a hunch.  Of the 700 events in event viewer 400+ were for net runtime optimization.  I suspect when the machine goes idle net runtime tries to optimize and fails leaving the machine in an odd state until it recovers.  I would try removing then installing net runtime.

I would also run a system file check

Please run a system file check (SFC)

All instructions are in our Wiki article below...
    Should you have any questions please ask us.

Tuesday, July 29, 2014 1:14 AM
  • I uninstalled and reinstalled .net. I also ran the scan as asked. The scan came back clean, no issues found. I left the computer on overnight and this morning it was still having the same issue. I've included another event log. The .net fix would have been between 11 and 11:30 I believe that I did it.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=FB53D1E9A32649B1!109&authkey=!AM09BnWxBX7Sk24&ithint=file%2czip

Tuesday, July 29, 2014 12:51 PM
  • Hi,

My computer is running windows 7. After it's left idle for 10-15 minutes and I come back it will let me move the mouse, highlight taskbar icons, and click start menu. It will not however load any thing up if I click on it. Once I click something it will then freeze and even the mouse pointer will not move. I have used the windows memory tool and it reported no problems with my memory. I have started it in Safe Mode which will not freeze evenif left idle over night. I have started it with a Clean Boot, but it will still freeze if left idle even from the clean boot. I can not figure out what is wrong. Also if I put the computer into hibernate (regardless of clean boot or not) and bring it back out it functions as normal. 

given how old 7 is now, might be time to backup and install it fresh

Corsair Carbide 300R with window
    Corsair TX850V2 70A@12V
    Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 CFX/SLI
    AMD Phenom II 965 C3 Black Edition @ 4.0 GHz
    G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133 8 GB
    EVGA GTX 6600 Ti FTW Signature 2(Gk104 Kepler)
    Asus PA238QR IPS LED HDMI DP 1080p
    ST2000DM001 & Windows 8.1 Enterprise x64
    Microsoft Wireless Desktop 2000
    Wacom Bamboo CHT470M
    Place your rig specifics into your signature like I have, makes it 100x easier to understand!

Hardcore Games Legendary is the Only Way to Play!

Tuesday, July 29, 2014 12:58 PM
  • I uninstalled and reinstalled .net. I also ran the scan as asked. The scan came back clean, no issues found. I left the computer on overnight and this morning it was still having the same issue. I've included another event log. The .net fix would have been between 11 and 11:30 I believe that I did it.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=FB53D1E9A32649B1!109&authkey=!AM09BnWxBX7Sk24&ithint=file%2czip

Cody

Your event viewer log contains only 1 event and it was of no use as it was from 8:45 am.  Did you clear you event viewer log or run Ccleaner?

I am agreeing with Vegan Fanatic in that it might just be faster to do a clean install.

Tuesday, July 29, 2014 1:35 PM
  • I'm sorry. I'm not sure why it only saved the one. I actually did reinstall it hoping to solve this issue. It unfortunately is still present. I have a saparate partition I store most of my files on. One thing I did not like about install was that it saved all old files and put them in a windows old file. If you think it could work I'll be sure to wipe that c partition completely before letting the install take place.
    Tuesday, July 29, 2014 1:54 PM
  • I reinstalled the OS and made sure to wipe the partition first. So far it seems to be back to normal operation. I really appreciate all the help you gave me. Thank you.
    • Marked as answer by ZigZag3143x Wednesday, July 30, 2014 1:13 AM
    Wednesday, July 30, 2014 12:39 AM
  • Cody

I am a big fan of clean installs.  Thanks for letting us know and happy to help.

Wednesday, July 30, 2014 1:13 AM