Planning to migrate our on-premise applications to Azure RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    We are planning to migrate our on-premise applications to Azure. As part of pilot, we are trying with SQL server in A VM machine and the performance is bad compare to our on-premises server. 
    Can anyone suggest what could go wrong and what can be done on this?
    Monday, March 16, 2020 12:40 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I have faced very similar issue earlier. Performance was really good when we were accessing from my location but for my customer it was very slow. 

We moved the servers to his closest possible location/region which magically fixed the problem. Please try out the same, it may fix your problem too.

-Malleswar

Monday, March 16, 2020 12:43 PM
  • Hi,

As you mentioned that you are moving on-premise to cloud, I presume that you already have windows and SQL licences. Hence I suggest to go with the below 

1) Create Azure VM  (Please select Already have a Windows Server license? Yes to save windows  licensing cost)
    2) Install SQL server on Azure VM ( use your licensing key) 

This whole is lift and shift case and to save the cost on licensing.

Azure SQL and SQL Server both are managed services and the cost will be more compare to the above approach if you own licenses. But very good for fresh start as it got lot of advantages interms of High availability, automated backups, automated updates,..

<label class="azc-form-label" for="azc-form-guid-d88d18c8-5d55-4bba-a59f-792804c4b726-for" style="font-size:13px;font-weight:600;max-width:100%;line-height:normal;">
    </label>

-Malleswar

Monday, March 16, 2020 1:20 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I have faced very similar issue earlier. Performance was really good when we were accessing from my location but for my customer it was very slow. 

We moved the servers to his closest possible location/region which magically fixed the problem. Please try out the same, it may fix your problem too.

-Malleswar

Monday, March 16, 2020 12:43 PM
  • Which aspect of VM performance is "bad"? 

Regarding compute resources, you can resize a VM - although keep in mind that this requires a reboot

For storage, you should be using Premium or Ultra disks

For details, refer to https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-machines/windows/sql/virtual-machines-windows-sql-performance

hth
    Marcin

Monday, March 16, 2020 12:55 PM
  • Thank you, which may help me. I will give a try and update you. 

Do you have any suggestions which is the best way of doing it like Azure SQL or setting VM (with my own SQL

Server) or SQL Server. 

Monday, March 16, 2020 1:12 PM
  • I already tried upscaling VMs and changing storage disks.  It improved but not to the extent as on-premises. 
    Monday, March 16, 2020 1:12 PM
  • Hi,

As you mentioned that you are moving on-premise to cloud, I presume that you already have windows and SQL licences. Hence I suggest to go with the below 

1) Create Azure VM  (Please select Already have a Windows Server license? Yes to save windows  licensing cost)
    2) Install SQL server on Azure VM ( use your licensing key) 

This whole is lift and shift case and to save the cost on licensing.

Azure SQL and SQL Server both are managed services and the cost will be more compare to the above approach if you own licenses. But very good for fresh start as it got lot of advantages interms of High availability, automated backups, automated updates,..

<label class="azc-form-label" for="azc-form-guid-d88d18c8-5d55-4bba-a59f-792804c4b726-for" style="font-size:13px;font-weight:600;max-width:100%;line-height:normal;">
    </label>

-Malleswar

Monday, March 16, 2020 1:20 PM
  • Thank you For your input ..!!
    Monday, March 16, 2020 1:23 PM