none
Cluster Shares disconnect every 30 days. Please provide your suggestion to fix this issue. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

We have three nodes cluster is running on our environment which has windows 2012 R2 OS.

Currently in the cluster file share had been configured. users are accessing the cluster shares through SMB Protocol. for the last more than six months cluster shares get disconnected automatically and it is not available to the users. If i just failover the cluster role/disk to another node, it will started to working fine and this issue occurs every 30 days.

Can you please suggest your solutions to over come on this issue.

Friday, June 3, 2016 11:07 AM

Answers

• Thanks Mary for your update on this issue.

I had found that third party Symentec netbackup  is installed on the nodes.  
    Please find the SMB alert below. This issue is long time issue and happening repeatedly 
    each 30 days.

Event :

A request timed out because there was no response from the server. Server name:NA Negotiate  
    Guidance: The server is responding over TCP but not over SMB. Ensure the Server service is  
    running and responsive, and the disks do not have high per-IO latency, which makes the  
    disks appear unresponsive to SMB. Also, ensure the server is responsive overall and not  
    paused; for instance, make sure you can log on to it.

Event :

The network connection failed. Error: {Device Timeout} The specified I/O operation on %hs  
    was not completed before the time-out period expired.  Connection type: Wsk Guidance: This  
    indicates a problem with the underlying network or transport, such as with TCP/IP, and not  
    with SMB. A firewall that blocks port 445 or 5445 can also cause this issue.
    Event:

The client lost its session to the server. Error: {Device Timeout} The specified I/O  
    operation on %hs was not completed before the time-out period expired. Server name:   
    Session ID: 0xC580004000811 Guidance: If the server is a Windows Failover Cluster file  
    server, then this message occurs when the file share moves between cluster nodes. There  
    should also be an anti-event 30806 indicating the session to the server was re-established.  
    If the server is not a failover cluster, it is likely that the server was previously  
    online, but it is now inaccessible over the network.

Please check this link and solution has been provided for this same issue.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/e9567167-22db-4b8c-9f96-a08b97d507f9/server-2012-r2-file-server-stops-responding-to-smb-connections?forum=winserverfiles

Monday, June 6, 2016 1:08 PM

All replies

• Hi Subramanian Kulanthaivelu,

Thanks for your post.

What is the error message when a user tries to connect to the share?

May I ask that is there any 3rd party software? It's strange that the problem happens so regularly. Have you set any schedule? Please first disable the AV to have a check.

Also check the Symantec issue:

Symantec solution available for “Network Path Not Found” and other errors

http://blogs.technet.com/windowsserver/archive/2009/12/11/symantec-solution-available-for-network-path-not-found-and-other-errors.aspx

In addition, please let the take your time to have a look on following post, which is a related issue:

Windows 2003 SP2 Server - Access to shares fails randomly - reboot required to resolve

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/winservergen/thread/c8d5044b-2cb8-4319-9128-e7e371bb05c2

Best Regards,

Mary

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, June 6, 2016 2:31 AM
  • Thanks Mary for your update on this issue.

I had found that third party Symentec netbackup  is installed on the nodes.  
    Please find the SMB alert below. This issue is long time issue and happening repeatedly 
    each 30 days.

Event :

A request timed out because there was no response from the server. Server name:NA Negotiate  
    Guidance: The server is responding over TCP but not over SMB. Ensure the Server service is  
    running and responsive, and the disks do not have high per-IO latency, which makes the  
    disks appear unresponsive to SMB. Also, ensure the server is responsive overall and not  
    paused; for instance, make sure you can log on to it.

Event :

The network connection failed. Error: {Device Timeout} The specified I/O operation on %hs  
    was not completed before the time-out period expired.  Connection type: Wsk Guidance: This  
    indicates a problem with the underlying network or transport, such as with TCP/IP, and not  
    with SMB. A firewall that blocks port 445 or 5445 can also cause this issue.
    Event:

The client lost its session to the server. Error: {Device Timeout} The specified I/O  
    operation on %hs was not completed before the time-out period expired. Server name:   
    Session ID: 0xC580004000811 Guidance: If the server is a Windows Failover Cluster file  
    server, then this message occurs when the file share moves between cluster nodes. There  
    should also be an anti-event 30806 indicating the session to the server was re-established.  
    If the server is not a failover cluster, it is likely that the server was previously  
    online, but it is now inaccessible over the network.

Please check this link and solution has been provided for this same issue.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/e9567167-22db-4b8c-9f96-a08b97d507f9/server-2012-r2-file-server-stops-responding-to-smb-connections?forum=winserverfiles

Monday, June 6, 2016 1:08 PM
  • Hi Mary,

i have Implemented the solution as per the below article recently. I am waiting whether this would issue occur again or not. I will update you if issue is not occured or even if occured again.

Please suggest me if there is anyother solution for this.

Monday, June 20, 2016 9:39 AM
  • Hi Subramanian Kulanthaivelu,

Appreciate your feedback. And thanks for sharing your solution.

For now, the thread offer's the all possible causes and solution based on my knowledge. And I'll also research the issue,  if I figure out more different solution, I will share with you either.

Anyway glad that you sloved the problem now.

Best Regards,

Mary

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 21, 2016 1:18 AM
  • Hi Mary,

The issue has been reoccured. SMB Shares disconnect after 52 days this time. Last two time this was happened every 30 days. We had followed the below article " http://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2957623/en-nz", but this issue still persist over the servers. up on checking, this is a known issue with windows server 2012 R2 OS, and this issue had been generating repeatly since the apps/smb shares migrated to 2012 R2. Please find that whether any security patch had been implemented for this issue to fix.Could you please help us to fix this problem soon.

Request you to look in to this issue soon.

Monday, August 22, 2016 9:46 AM
  • Hi Mary,

I have been waiting for your reply. Request you to update on this issue.

Thanks,

Subramanian K

Monday, October 3, 2016 11:35 AM
  • HI MS,

This is a known issue with windows 2012 R2 operating system where we are using SMB2 protocol is enabled for SMB shares. Can you confirm is there any patch had been released to fix this particular issue.

Tuesday, June 13, 2017 11:19 AM