none
Unusual question on computer maintaince. RRS feed

• Question

• Ok I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this question or not but I'll give it a shot. I'm sure most everyone on this forum has at one time or another had to deal with dust buildup in their computers. In my situation I have to deal with it a lot and I'm looking for a more affective solution. Cans of air do work but aren't all that great at getting into tight spaces and aren't as cheap as I would like. We tried a small portable air compressor but the air supply was too limited and the thing was very loud. What I am curious about is using CO2. I know you can get 24 oz CO2 canisters for paintball guns and refilling them is pretty cheap, but does anyone know if the hardware exists to use one as an air duster? And if I am in the wrong place please let me know and if possible point me in the right direction.
    Terry, IT Manager for CK Ventures Inc.
    Sunday, February 20, 2011 8:32 PM

Answers

• Yes..this is far off topic for this forum.  But I don't think Technet has a forum for such a question so I'll answer it here:

We use this specialized vacuum:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000WU8I2 .  The printer/copier technicians use these to clean up toner.  They work really well at cleaning up computer dust.  But these things are VERY loud; at least as loud as your air compressor.  But they also don't blow dust in to the air which will either settle in your lungs, or settle back down on top of everything that you just cleaned off.  I'm not a fan of compressed air.  I'd rather remove dust entirely instead of pushing it elsewhere.

If you already own a compressor, even a little portable one, then consider using it to fill a much large compressed air tank such as this:  http://www.amazon.com/RHO-9890-10-Gallon-Air-Tank/dp/B000YOUK52 .  You could turn the compressor on at the end of the day and let it run in to the night.  The next day turn off the compressor and use the air until it runs out.  Compressors don't have to be always on; just use them when you need it.  Those small portable things have tiny one-gallon tanks.  Perhaps you just need a bigger tank.

If you just want a high volume and portable tank of compressed air then find your local welding supply shop.  They can lease a tank to you that is about the same size as a SCUBA tank, with a hose and air nozzle on it.   You just drive the tank over to them whenever it's empty and they'll swap it out for a new tank.  You can get H20 or C02 or whatever you want.  I seem to recall that they could compress C02 higher than H20 so you would end up with more gas for your money.  The reason for sourcing these from a welding supply is that they will use very strong welding tanks which can handle much higher compression, and thus more air.

• Marked as answer by Coyabbit Thursday, February 24, 2011 10:59 PM
    Tuesday, February 22, 2011 3:47 PM

All replies

• Yes..this is far off topic for this forum.  But I don't think Technet has a forum for such a question so I'll answer it here:

We use this specialized vacuum:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000WU8I2 .  The printer/copier technicians use these to clean up toner.  They work really well at cleaning up computer dust.  But these things are VERY loud; at least as loud as your air compressor.  But they also don't blow dust in to the air which will either settle in your lungs, or settle back down on top of everything that you just cleaned off.  I'm not a fan of compressed air.  I'd rather remove dust entirely instead of pushing it elsewhere.

If you already own a compressor, even a little portable one, then consider using it to fill a much large compressed air tank such as this:  http://www.amazon.com/RHO-9890-10-Gallon-Air-Tank/dp/B000YOUK52 .  You could turn the compressor on at the end of the day and let it run in to the night.  The next day turn off the compressor and use the air until it runs out.  Compressors don't have to be always on; just use them when you need it.  Those small portable things have tiny one-gallon tanks.  Perhaps you just need a bigger tank.

If you just want a high volume and portable tank of compressed air then find your local welding supply shop.  They can lease a tank to you that is about the same size as a SCUBA tank, with a hose and air nozzle on it.   You just drive the tank over to them whenever it's empty and they'll swap it out for a new tank.  You can get H20 or C02 or whatever you want.  I seem to recall that they could compress C02 higher than H20 so you would end up with more gas for your money.  The reason for sourcing these from a welding supply is that they will use very strong welding tanks which can handle much higher compression, and thus more air.

• Marked as answer by Coyabbit Thursday, February 24, 2011 10:59 PM
    Tuesday, February 22, 2011 3:47 PM
  • Thank you very much for the reply. I apologize for this question being off topic but I honestly wasn't sure where else to go and figured someone here must have some experience with this.

That vacuum looks like it would be perfect but might take some work getting my boss to approve it. The larger air tank will probably be my best bet for now. I don't know if the high volume high pressure plan is going to work but I'll check in at our local welding shop and see what I can find out.

Thank you again!

Terry, IT Manager for CK Ventures Inc.
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 11:11 PM