none
Windows Server 8 R2 C drive running out of space, Help

Question

• I have read some threads about this matter, but I haven't got a satisfactory answer yet. So I am forced to ask here:

I have a Windows 8 R2 Server. Has partitions C, D and they are contiguous partitions. C partition first then D partition. D partition has the data, but it has over 100GB of extra space. 

The C drive is running out of space. What do I do? Is there no way of repartitioning to gain space from the D drive? 

I tried to post the image but it would not let me post images in my comment because Microsoft account has to be verified first. 

Most of the suggestions I read are to use third party software. But I'm terrified of losing data if I mess with third party software. Is there is a way to backup the entire drive, repartition, and restore? Thank you all, anything helps.

Wednesday, June 13, 2018 3:05 PM

All replies

• To do natively free space needs to be adjacent to existing so backup the contents of D:\, then delete the partition, then you can extend existing C:\ into free adjacent space. When done, create a new D:\ partition and restore the backup. Other options are to use third party tools to resize.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, June 13, 2018 3:46 PM
  • Thanks for the reply. I like what you mentioned about backing up the data on D and extending C drive. I do have to figure out how to perform this action without ruining my data. I backup everyday, to an external drive as well as Cloud. So Data is there, even though I really really screw up. 

But the Third party softwares, like Easus, are they reliable? Don't they corrupt the data? Should I trust them and go with it? What do you say? 

Thanks again. 

Wednesday, June 13, 2018 5:29 PM
  • I'm not familiar with the product but you could ask for help with it here.

https://www.easeus.com/support.htm

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, June 13, 2018 5:33 PM